Chapter 08: What a catch

I was late out of college that day, I had to stop by the library to use a computer and print out some work. The grounds were empty except for one or two students wondering about the place, it was different from the usual hussle and bussle. It was nice to be on my own for a little while.
Today was also the first day I would get the bus home, I had gotten my bus pass earlier and instantly changed the folder from a 'Smart bus' holder to an 'attack on titan' holder which suited me much better.

As I reached the bus station I noticed not many people were waiting and hardly any from the college itself. I walked down the bus station and looked around for the number I needed. I saw the empty space and the little sign that displayed my area on it I trudged over and sat in the seat, my butt freezing as the metal hit it. Just as I sat the bus arrived, I anxiously got my bus pass out and made sure it had the right date on for what must've been the hundredth time. It was still right.
"Do-does this go to rossendale?" I asked the bus driver, a skinny man who wore glasses. He sighed deeply, probably irritated after a long shift
"Yes. As it says up there" he pointed to the front top of the bus where the locations it went were displayed. I went bright red and showed him my bus pass
"Thanks" I mumbled as I made my way to a seat in the back of the almost empty bus. I slumped into the seat and felt my hands shaking why are you scared? It's a bus journey, people take them all the time, it's nothing to worry about for crying out loud. I told myself, I mean at least the bus is warm

"Phil?" A voice called from the front of the bus
Is that Dan? I lifted my head up to see the confident grin that could only possibly belong to Dan."You live in rossendale?" He asked as he made his way over to me. I nodded, my mouth going dry. My anxiety kicked in as I realised I had to share a 40 minute bus ride with him, I would have to talk to him. What if I ran out of things to say and he realised I was actually really boring? "Me too!"
"Cool" I replied, finally finding my voice.
"So I guess I have a bus buddy now" he told me and slid into the seat next to me
"Yeah" I smiled even though anxiety was tearing me up inside
"I hope you don't find me rude if I listen to music?" He asked as he lifted up his phone to indicate
"No. Not at all" I replied and watched Dan slide on earbud into his ear. The bus pulled out of the station and I was left on a bus that consisted of the guy I like, an old man and another student. None of which could help me out of this conversation. As the awkward silence settled over us I wondered how injured I would get if I suddenly jumped out of the window.
"Um. What are you listening to?" I finally asked
"Huh?"
"What um what song?" I stuttered
"Oh! Currently it's the kids aren't all right by-"
"Fall out boy" I enthused
"You know them?" He questioned with a bright smile
"Of course!" I told him like it was the most obvious thing in in the world. I mean he probably guessed I had good music taste by my dyed black hair with a fringe, the classic bandom look.
"They're one of my favs" he said
"Same" I bit my lip as the conversation came to a close, my brain whirled as I tried to think of something more to say

"Wanna choice a song?" Dan asked me suddenly and passed me an earbud along with his phone. I slipped the bud in and looked through Dans play list. He had a lot of great songs on it from check yes Juliet to I'm not okay. I scrolled down and one caught my eye; what a catch donnie. Dans eye lit up when he saw me click it
"I've got troubled thoughts and the self esteem to match" Patricks voice sang softly but as the song continued my face flushed as I realised some of the lyrics may reveal too much about me to Dan. I mean I do have troubled thoughts, a low self esteem and I'm not exactly a catch am I?
"So when the world ends will god go down with it?" Soon I relaxed and listened to the song choice at hand, Dan began to bop his head to it making me grin. He saw and stuck his tongue out at me.

"This is my favourite bit!" Dan said excitedly, sitting up in his seat, as the part where lyrics from other songs are in the background. I remember when I first heard the song and I was so confused with what was going on, it sends shivers down my spine now.

"What other bands do you like then philly?" Dan asked as the song changed and the playlist shuffled to a random song
"My chem, muse, panic!" I listed, trying to think of other bands that I knew but drawing up a blank.
"I love them!" Dan told me
"Nice" I replied
"Nice" he repeated, we stared into each others eyes and for once the silence between us wasn't so awkward "well let's listen to some of the lads hey?"
"Sure" I half smiled.

We listened to music all the way to the bus station.
"I'm gonna have to take this now" Dan teased and pulled the bud out of my ear
"no fair" I complained, we were half way through Ghosts by Halsey, I had never heard her before and she was really good.
"Which way from here?" Dan asked, ignoring my complaints
you're annoying him.
"That way" I told him, pointing up the bank
"Same" he smiled "let's walk together"
"Fine by me" I smiled back and we began to climb the bank. We had casual chat about what we were doing that evening, apparently Adrian (his younger brother) has a parents evening that Dan is being dragged to.
"Are you and him close?"
"Yeah" Dan looked ahead "he's really annoying but he's family and sometimes they're all you really have" he looked sad in that moment, which was strange because Dan had so many people around him.
"Says Mr. Popular" I said in disbelief
"Just because I talk to people it doesn't mean they're there for me" he mumbled
"This is me" I told him as we were in front of my house. I bit my lip, wondering if I should tell him what I was thinking "and Dan, just so you know you have me and Louise so chear up". What I really wanted to say was 'well if it's any consultation I'm here for you' but I thought that was too much.
"How come we haven't got the bus together before?" Dan asked out of nowhere, looking at me with a sparkle in his eyes.
"Because we only just found out we got the same one" I pointed out
"Touché lester" he winked "See ya in class"
"See ya" I watched him walk up the bank for a moment before going inside.

Authors note: College Wednesday. I'm not looking forward to it, why can't my school life just be a fluffy phan au?
Hope you lot are doing okay at school (or work?)!
- Rach x