Chapter 05: Film noir

Film was the first lesson of the day and tired was not the most accurate word to describe how I felt. I was exhausted. I was worrying constantly yesterday about being anywhere near Dan again, he made my anxiety rise so high whenever I even thought about talking to him. I had no idea how I was supposed to do any entire project with him. I would probably have a panic attack if the lesson was longer than an hour or if the girl, who I found out is called Louise, wasn't accompanying us. For some odd reason I find it easier to be in a group of three because that meant I wasn't needed to keep the conversation going and someone else could fill the awkward silences.

I took my seat in film along with Dan and Louise who both smiled at me, I smiled back and whispered out a 'hi' that sounded so pathetic in my ears that I nearly cringed.
"Hows your college lives then?" Dan questioned as L wasn't in the room yet.
"could be better, my phone keeps going off because my landlord just won't get off my back even though I'm paying the rent" Louise said, going into a detailed rant about her landlord.
"And you Philly?" Dan asked me, I went bright red at the nickname
"Pretty good" I replied fearing I had said something wrong or too little. Louise had told us a funny anecdote and here I was saying two words! Somehow I couldn't seem to find anything else to say so I decided to get the spot light off me "and you Danny?". His grin spread so widely, although he was trying to look annoyed, as I called him my own nickname. I felt stupid saying it, especially after he sighed but soon it turned into a laugh.
"Pretty good too" He replied, the smile still on his face. 

Before anymore could be said L walked into the room
"Film Noir!" He began, a few slides were on the screen in the background but L payed no attention to what they said as he just began calling out key points about the genre. Me and Louise scribbled anything we could pick up but Dan just sat there with an empty page open in his notebook, no doubt he would copy off us later "as lovely Mr. Howell so kindly pointed out yesterday, Film Noir translates to black film in French" Daniel Howell "Film Noir mirrors the dark side of the American dream. The main way it does this is through the location. Dark shadows. Vientiane blinds cut through the Mise-en-scene and entrap the characters. All this sounds nonsense to you now but give it a few months and you will understand the prodigious vocabulary that accompanies Film studies. It is like learning an entirely new language. Forget French, instead of bonjour you'll be learning chiaroscuro"
Me and Dan looked at each other and he arched an eyebrow at me, I'm pretty sure we we're thinking the same thing: what the heck was this lesson and what had we got ourselves in for?
"But before  all that" L continued and clapped his hands "lets delve into the femme fatale, Howell what does this mean?"
I saw him thinking for a second, biting his lip before a cocky smile spread across them "Fatal woman"
"Correctomundo" L complimented, making me hold in a giggle at his funny wording "The femme fatale are the embodiment of the American dream but the darkest side. They deceive and manipulate the male protagonist, ultimately leading to their down fall.  The protagonist is always a flawed character, whether physically or mentally, and this leads to the films end which always ends in disaster" 

I looked down at my piece of paper which was filled with things and words that I had probably spelt wrong, L kept talking about the world of Noir and honestly I couldn't wait until we watched our first film so I could see all these elements put together. At first it seemed very daunting but now it was actually interested, like literature for more senses than just sight. 

"Now! Before we can get onto any films" I'm pretty sure I saw half of the class slump further into their chairs at that moment "we should have a word about coursework. You will do this in your own time but I will help you out once a month with any concerns. You will need to work in groups or individually on a film of your choice. This year you will just either produce and extended step outline or photographs for a story board. This lesson I will let you decided who you wish to work with and come up with some ideas, then I can talk to you a bit more about the outline and all that crap. Sound good? good. Get sorted team" 

I had it in my head that I could do this all by myself, I was pretty good with a camera and could use my tripod to take pictures with. It was just coming up with an idea no-
"Hey Phil wanna team up?" No, he couldn't be asking me, could he? I turned my head to see Dan looking at me, expecting an answer and I heard a 'yeah sure' escape my lips although it didn't feel like I was speaking at all. Dan smiled at me and then turned to Louise "you to?"
"Sure, though I don't know how much time I'll have what with looking after Darcy and general adult life" 
That was sorted then. I was working with Louise... and Dan.