Chapter 12: Photo shoot

I got a knock on my door the following morning. 
"A friends at the door Philly," my mum cooed me awake and I groggily got up. It was Saturday and I was looking forward to just lounging in bed and doing nothing. 
"Okay," I spoke back in my morning voice. "Tell them I'll be down in a minute." My mum left the room and I was able to get ready. When I was just about to throw a shirt on what she had just said finally clicked. A friend was at the door? Was this a friend from my old school? I hope not, damn I really hope not! I fumbled into my bedside table for the anxiety pills and quickly swallowed one whole, it slid down my raw throat and I tried hard not to cough it back up. Luckily, it didn't taste as bad as paracetamol's do and I was actually capable of having it with no liquid. 

"Hey, Phil." The voice spoke as I walked into the hallway.
"Oh, Dan hey..." I said surprised,  I didn't expect him to not only remember where I lived but also be at my door step.
"Are you okay?" He asked me with a frown.
"Yeah, just wasn't expecting anyone." I rubbed the back of my neck anxiously. "Whats up?"
"Well, Louise is free today so I thought we could do the photo shoot." He wasn't asking if that was alright was he?  Because it was clear I wasn't doing anything else today, it's 11 am and I still have bed hair and sleep in my eyes.
"Okay." I nodded and made no attempt to move.
"Now," he verified and I looked down at myself, I had just thrown on a plaid red shirt and skinny jeans.
"Do I need to get changed?" I wondered aloud. If we were doing a photo shoot I wanted to look the part.
"No you look fine," Dan said with a chuckle.
"Alrighty then, just give me a sec." I left Dan on the doorstep,  the front door still open,  and wandered into the living room where I saw mum sitting down and reading the morning paper. "Mum I'm going Dans to work on film," I told her, she looked up at me with a smile. She liked that I had plans, albeit plans I hadn't made myself or known about.
"Have fun, do you want something eat?" Yes but I don't have time to eat breakfast right now and I could take something with me but then I'd have to eat in front of someone, I'd rather not. 
"No, I'll be fine. Be back for dinner."
"Have fun." She went back to read the paper nonchalantly but I knew she was trying not to burst out in joy. I rolled my eyes at her, quickly brushed my hair and walked out to Dan.

"Ready?" he asked.
"Ready." I nodded and I was led out into the coldness of the morning, the wind bit at my nose and my breath formed white air in front of me. I rubbed my hands to prevent them from becoming numb, I looked over to Dan to see him in full winter wear: a beanie,  gloves, coat and even a scarf. I felt a little stupid that I had just walked out with a long sleeve top on.

We didn't speak until we reached the house and Dan finally broke the awkward silence, "here we are."
He stopped us and pointed towards his house, he allowed me to go in first and I prayed I wouldn't trip up or doing something embarrassingly stupid.
"Nice house," I told him in order to make conversation, but also because he lived in a posh house. The layout was pretty much the same as mine but somehow it looked much more glamorous. 
"Thanks.  I've had it since I was born," he replied and gave me a cheeky grin.
"Um... when will Louise be here?" I asked as I followed him into the kitchen, he got out two cans of Pepsi and handed me one.
"Any minute now." He shrugged and opened his can up with a satisfying pop.
"Okay," I replied and opened my own up, I copied Dans actions and took a swig myself. Not that I'm a massive fan of Pepsi,  or any kind of fizzy drinks really,  I'm more of a tea person but I didn't want to make Dan regret his hospitality towards me.
"Who's taking the pictures?" He stopped his can mid-air and slowly brought it down.
"Hmm... I didn't think that far."
"I could ask PJ?" I suggested because he was good with cameras and he did say he would help.
"Go for it." I quickly texted him and he said he was on the way.

Just as we were about to sit down in the living room, Louise arrived.
"Hey, guys!" She cheered as she bustled her way into the room. "I'm so sorry I'm late, I had to drop the littleon' off at daycare, you know how it is." She looked at us, "well you don't but you can imagine."
"Sure can, glad you made it." Dan seemed to never stop smiling, it was always there. That hint of dimple resting on his cheek, the happiness laced into every word. I didn't understand how he could be so happy, I wished I could be like that. Another knock on the door sounded and in came PJ, Chris wasn't with him though.
"Chris has the flu" he apologised to me. "But I did bring a stand in and I think this one will be much more useful." He held up his expensive looking camera and a tri pod.
"Nice!" Dan cheered before I could get a word in. "Let's get this show on the road"