CHAPTER SIXTEEN

This chapter is dedicated to Reesa Kay, my belated birthday gift to you. Sorry I missed your birthday dear, now saved in my special events;)

**Sorry-Justin Bieber**

Please make me smile and vote for my chapter(s)...would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

**Bilal**

Chenti and I turned to see mom standing at the door with her bag in her hand. I could not tell if her facial expression was that of anger, confusion or happiness...I couldn't even tell if it was blank. Maybe I was that confused.

My mom has always been the 'hey, you're still too young' type. She never wanted me to be in a relationship until I turned twenty but I disappointed her with Berla when I went to senior high school. She found out I was with Berla and warned me to stop but then it was too late. I was loving her already with all I had.

No, I don't blame mom for being overly protective. She was only acting based on an experience she had with someone who broke her heart at a young age before she met my dad. Her fear was to see me go through what she went through and that really happened. Berla proved her right.

"Why are you two frozen like you've been put on pause?" She asked and walked in. "I heard almost everything. I just want to confirm if what I'm thinking I'd right."

Chenti sighed and facepalmed. Mom placed her bag on the kitchen counter and sat on one of the stools watching us to and fro.

She sighed. "Chelpang, I know this has to do with you. You're in another relationship, aren't you?"

Going against my mom is something I really hate to do. I felt I had disappointed her so much that I couldn't raise my head to look at her. I felt so ashamed but I had to tell her.

"Yes mom." I said simply with my head bowed down in shame.

She sighed and stood up.

"Lets talk after dinner." She walked out of the kitchen without saying another word.

When she was out of earshot, I raised my head and met Chenti's confused gaze. We sat there in silence until mom called Chenti so I used that to go to my room.

At dinner, no one talked. We all looked down at our plates of jollof rice and I occasionally stole glances at mom and Chenti. Before today, I never knew I could eat that slowly and gently.

Mom sat looking straight at the tv when I stood at the entrance to the sitting room after dinner. I stood behind her trying to think of what she might bring up and what my replies would be.

"Are you going to remain standing there forever?" She said without turning to look at me. I walked in and sat on the one seater couch beside hers. She put the tv off before turning to face me.

"Chelpang." She sighed.

"Mom, I uhh--I'm sorry I..." I said looking down at my feet.

"What for?" She cut me off. "Don't be. You've done nothing wrong."

She paused, looking thoughtful for a while and sighed. "Chelpang, I realised I've been overly protective. You're an adult now and I should give you some space. After what happened with you and Berla, I was convinced you weren't strong enough to handle emotional problems and I was afraid that might happen again with another girl that's why I've been strict on you." She paused again and shifted in her seat.