Chapter 37

"I'm a hurricane."

~•~

The door creaked as it was pulled open, a loud deep metallic sound vibrating through their very bones. They could hear eachother breathe, the smell of fresh night air invaded their nostrils and a feeling of fearful nostalgia swept over them.

In and out.

The guard stepped inside, his flashlight pointed at the floor beneath him while he stepped inside. Lauren was crouched behind Michonne and Carol, the duffle bag of weapons concealed behind Sasha, Rachel and Maggie.

"Line up," He grumbled, his voice like corse sandpaper to their ears. He shone his flashlight up, waiting for them to move.

Shit.

There would be no hope in escape if he found the weapons and yelled for help.

"Move," Lauren whispered to Michonne, "Trust me, and go to the left side, cover the bag for as long as you can."

Michonne moved, guiding the others along with her. Just as Carol was about to move, Lauren soundlessly rolled right, her machete in hand. The guard kept his flashlight on the others, on the other side of the narrow containter, the light just failing to illuminate her hiding spot.

"I said line up!" He gruffed, frustrated.

Lauren placed her hands on the wooden flooring, pushing herself up onto her knees. Quietly, she stood onto her feet, her back pressed against the metal panelling. She inched closer and closer to the door of the containter, also getting closer to the heavily-muscled guard. She breathed out when she reached the furthest she could go, while the others shuffled around, buying her time.

"What's that?" The guard questioned, his flashlight landing on half of the duffle bag that peeked out from behind Rachel's leg.

Sparing no more time, Lauren launched herself forward. The guard turned around, the sound of Lauren's footsteps alarming him. Before he could lift his gun, Lauren brought her blade across his neck. His eyes widened and he gagged, pressing his hands to his neck. A bloodied hand reached towards Lauren before he fell to the ground.

"Just leave him here," She said, looking back up at her group, "If he turns it'll be a distraction."

Taking lives was something Lauren didn't enjoy, dispite the lack of hesistation she had while comitting the act. She did what was necessary to ensure the safety of the people she cared for.

"You know what you're doing, take the weapons and free the others," Lauren said, sheathing her machete as she reached onto her back, taking the bow into her hands, "Kill anyone that you can and don't use a gun unless you have to. I'm going to bring Judith back. Be careful."

With a hesistant nod towards Lauren, they departed, taking different directions entirely.

"Well here goes nothing," She breathed, slotting an arrow into her bow as she melted into the darkness.

~•~

The guards had scattered themselves around the entire camp, a large majority of them being outside the fences which gave the group a large chance of getting their weapons before being spotted.