Chapter 11

Day 53

"You look nice." Valorie commented as Carl rose from his makeshift bed. He smoothed down his newly-cut, tousled hair and smiled up at her.

"Thanks Val," He replied and pulled on his boots. "It's nice to be human again."

"It was my pleasure." Valorie smiled and handed Carl some cooked beans. He gratefully accepted and downed every bit of it. He ran a hand through his hair and chuckled at how short it felt. It wasn't actually short, but it felt like a missing limb compared to what it was. His hair covered the tips of his ears, layering around his head. He was happy he still had his fringe at the front, it just wasn't as long. It felt like a big change, and Carl loved it.

"Where's Declan?" Carl asked and Valorie pointed to the door.

"He's outside getting himself ready for your run. He has ammo and all for you up there. Please be careful, Carl. Make sure he comes home."

"I will."

When Carl got outside, he had to squint to adjust his eyes to the light. He haden't slept into the day in a long time and he was thankful he did. He wondered if it was because he might have found Lauren or not. Declan was loading up his guns with ammunition, he slipped an extra gun into his backpack just incase.

"Ready to go?" Carl asked and Declan nodded. He threw Carl a new gun full with ammo.

"That's for all your help." Declan nodded to Carl and slung his backpack over his shoulders. He threw three more clips of ammunition to Carl and smiled. "Take these too, kid. You're gonna need them."

"Where exactly are we going?" Carl asked, hooking the straps of his backpck to his arms.

"There's a house near here that's a good pick. An old man used to live there, he was into all the apocalypse shit. Everyone thought he was crazy, look where we are now," Declan chuckled. "Anyway, he stocked weapons and food. Hopefully it's still there."

Carl nodded, processing the information. The man may have been crazy then, but he was smarter than most of the Earth's population. Declan began to walk and Carl followed without another word.

Within forty minutes of walking they had arrived at the house. From the outside, it looked like a normal bungalo. Carl spotted a couple of Walkers lurking outside, he pointed them out to Declan and they both nodded.

"You take one, I'll take the other." Carl said and Declan nodded. Carl sprinted forward, grasping his knife. A low growl eminated from the closest undead. Carl still ran, he ran until he was right infront of it. With one forceful stab it fell to the ground and Carl stepped back, bracing himself for another fight. Declan took down the second Walker with no hassle and moved towards the door.

"Is there any more?" Declan asked and Carl shook his head

"I don't think so."

"Alright, I'll open the door, you be ready."

Declan swung open the door and Carl held up his pistol. Declan shone his flashlight into the dim light and relaxed when he saw no immediate danger.

"I'd say his stash is in the basement, let's just check the rest of the house first."

Declan and Carl went from room to room, searching for anything. They found a few non-perishable cans in the kitchen but nothing worthwhile. Declan descended a set of carpeted stairs and Carl followed, his pistol in hand. A large metal door sat infront of them both, slightly ajar. Declan went first, followed by Carl, into the pitch black room.

Declan shone the light forward and gasped.

"We have literally hit the motherload." Declan announced and moved forward. Carl didn't even know how big this room, it was completely void of all light.