Chapter 3

Day 34

Two days passed since Carl left his family and friends to go in search of Lauren. In those two days, he walked. He walked until his feet were sore and the bright sun dipped down until the sky was no longer illuminated in it's warming glow.

During these days, Carl was forced to find shelter in the small hours of the morning, he fought a large share of Walkers, hordes weren't uncommon, but he managed to avoid them as best he could. His ammo was still plentiful and his heart still burned with hope. Although, deep down, he felt like this was a lost journey, she was gone, and finding her would be near impossible.

Carl was on the dusty and beat-up road again, walking away from the small farmhouse where he stayed the night before. He tried to think like Lauren, she would always follow the roads, staying behind the cover of the trees. He did that, hoping that he was going in the same direction as the girl that deserted him.

Carl knew that there was only so many places she could be, that's if she stopped to settle down. If she kept walking, that girl could be anywhere by now.

The day was calm and quiet. There was only the decayed bodies of the dead to take away from the natural beauty. Walkers weren't scarce on the roads, but it was usually just a couple at a time. Buildings are where the danger lies. Carl didn't need to raid any buildings for food or ammunition, he had enough to suffice for almost a fortnight.

That day consisted of footstep after footstep, a desperate attemt to lessen the space between him and Lauren. The bright sun disappeared once more and Carl sighed, feeling more open from the loss of light. He spotted an old lane, covered and hidden from the trees.

Carl followed, after a hundred or so meters he came to a tiny cottage. It almost seemed spooky under the night sky. The grass was overgrown and the windows covered in green ivy. He stepped up to the front door, using his dagger to cut the ivy that covered the door knob. The door was surely locked and Carl sighed.

"Great." He muttered. Carl stepped back and launched his foot straight at the old wooden door. Within half a dozen kicks the door was down and Carl stepped into the dark silence. An old grandfather clock sat against the door. In a different world, it would have been considered antique and valuable, but in this world, it's a chunk of wood that used to tell the time. He forcefully grabbed it and pulled, letting it fall against the wall, partially covering the entrance to the small house.

It was dark, as dark as expected. Carl grabbed his flashlight, cracked but it still work, shining it's dimming light into the blackness he was so used to. He heard a bang and something glass hit the ground before shattering into what sounded like a thousand pieces. He thought it was amusing, that's the sound he imagined as he read that hateful letter.

Down the hall and to the left, Carl found himself in the kitchen. A small room, only consisting of a small two person table and an asortment of appliances. He held his pistol to his body, shining the flashlight into the room with his free hand. He stepped into the room and sighed when he didn't find the source of the noise, but only the aftermath.

Glass crunched beneath his feet as he moved into the next room, the door was open and he assumed that's where the undead had retreated, possibly following the sound of the old grandfather clock becoming a shield. Carl's breath caught in his throat when he saw a dusty piano in the corner of the room, it's keys were covered in webs and a thick layer of dust had settled on the instrument, but that didn't stop the memories invading his reality. He tore his eyes from the piano and back to his surroundings.

In the few seconds he got distracted, the Walker had stepped out from the hallway and set it's eyes on the boy infront of it. Carl jerked backwards, falling over a small coffee table that sat between the TV and the couch. He winced and sat up, just as the undead made it's way to him. One faithful pull of the trigger and yet another disaster was averted. He would live to see another day.

Another day without her.

~•~

Michonne sat cross-legged on the leather couch, her katana by her feet. She watched as Carol folded the newly washed clothes, stacking them in piles. Michonne wondered why she bothered, but she didn't ask. Maybe Carol just needed to hold on to a small part of her old life.

The past two days, Rick haden't been his usual self. That was understandable, his son left to find a girl who left him. Judith cried more and nobody felt the need to move or progress in this world. They had enough supplies so they took a break, staying in the same place for almost two months.

"Do you think he'll find her?" Carol asked, breaking the silence that hung in the air.

"You know what?" Michonne said, thinking about all that has transpired. "I think he will. Lauren is not the kind of girl to stay away forever, she likes to know what's going on. And I'd bet that she didn't go far. She may have found somewhere with some people that accept her and don't know her and settled for a bit."

Carol nodded in agreement.
"We'll see her again someday, let's just hope that Carl will have survived his trip."

"He will." Michonne reassured, she hoped he would. The world isn't a place for just one person. "I just hope that she will accept him."

"She's a stupid girl and he's a stupid boy, they're perfect for eachother." Carol laughed and finished folding the last item of clothing. "They'll figure it out."

"They can finish their story, together." Michonne smiled thoughtfully. She knew that Lauren wouldn't go back to him easily, but she also knew that Carl wouldn't take any crap from her. He would tell her what was on his mind, and not let her slip through his fingers again.

"Or else.." Carol started but Michonne cut back in.

"It'll be forever unfinished."

~•~

She sat on the window sill of her room, staring out at the night sky. Behind her, the girl with the raven black hair. She was seated on a large office chair, watching the girl she had come to care about stare into the nothingness that was the outside world.

"I hate love." She said after an eternity of silence, shifting from her seat in the window so she was able to look at the other girl.

"Why?" She simply replied, pushing a strand of jet black hair from her face. She knew to tread lightly around her, even if she was a friend. Her friend was unpredictable, troubled and she was mysterious. They didn't know eachothers real names.

"Love is a lie. Love is a stupid attachment to someone, making you latch on, for fear that they would leave you. Love only ends in hurt.."

"...Love... is giving someone else the power to break you."
~•~

Ah the boring an actionless chapters! I went kind of MIA for a few days but don't worry! I had locked myself in a dark room with the xbox and some games XD

The better chapters are ahead!

Please vote!

-The Bat Shit Crazy Author Lady