Part 2: The Survivors

~•~
Prologue
~•~

Lauren stood by the window, forced to watch everything that unfolded before her eyes. She shut them tightly and slowly turned her head, hot tears running down her pale cheeks.

"Watch," He demanded,  turning her head and she obeyed, opening her tainted eyes. She knew it would be better for him if she did.

"That is what happens when you try and fool me," He growled, his hands still holding Lauren's head in place. She gulped in a breath of air, whimpering as she watched from the window high above where she wished she could be. "I know everything. I see everything. You can't hide from me."

"Give it up," He said softly, too softly. He stood behind her, gently brushing the stray pieces of hair from her face and tucking them behind her ears. "Give him up."

Lauren didn't answer, she just stood watching. Her whole body tense. It was unbearable, she couldn't feel this pain anymore. Her heart was too weak to take any more. She felt as if she was being stabbed by a thousand knives, directly through her ever-beating heart. She wished for it to end, for her pain to cease, but fate was never on her side.

She could feel his hot breath on her neck, she fought the disgust as she tried to numb her emotions. She never felt so weak in her life, so helpless. She couldn't do anything to save herself, but she could save him.

"Forget about him," He said, "Let him die from inside."

Lauren released a shaky breath and squeezed her eyes shut, she couldn't watch any more, she couldn't watch him suffer for her.

"Let him go," He said, this time more forcefully. Lauren knew his patience was wearing thin. "And I'll let him live."

"I can't," She said, her eyes focused on the carpeted floor beneath her feet.

"Yes you can," He said through gritted teeth. His hand gripped her shoulder tightly, it was his way of showing her that she belonged to him. "He's worthless, love me."

"I'll never love you," She spat, every fibre in her being trembling with pure hatred.

"You'll learn."

~•~