Chapter 34

Over the past year, Lauren had learned a lot about herself. Carl had too. They gained strengths and uncovered weaknesses, lost and gained friends, broken themselves only to pick up the pieces and go again. They had lived.

Lauren watched as Carl walked, his beat up old Sherrifs hat bouncing ever so slightly with each step he took. She never found herself a very sentimental person, but she loved how he always had that hat with him, like she had her machete and backpack. Her time with him had been an adventure, and she desperately hoped that their adventure had many more chapters to come.

"I suppose we could try going back the direction I came," Carl said, scratching the back of his neck and he stared, bewildered at the crumpled map in his hands, "I know abouts where the house was, and maybe they haven't left."

"I think that's our best bet," Lauren replied, sighing softly to herself. She was happy that they had taken a break from Greenview, but finding Rick would be like searching for a needle in a haystack.

"We'll find them," Carl reassured, sensing the doubt that Lauren held, "I found you after all, luck might help us yet."

"Ah, luck," Lauren chuckled, "That word always seems to come at a price."

"You're a very cryptic person, y'know."

Lauren laughed softly.

"I suppose it makes me more interesting," She replied, a smile still lingering on her pink lips, "Don't you think?"

"I think the fact that you can kick ass like a pro is pretty interesting on its own," Carl chuckled, bumping hips with Lauren who rolled her eyes but smiled regardless.

"I'm just the full package," She joked, "You're a lucky guy, Grimes."

"Believe me," He grinned, "I know."

~•~

Buildings dotted the horizon as the evening sun shone dimly through the sky. Lauren hoisted her bag higher on her back and let out a soft, tired sigh. Carl fumbelled with the map, his brow furrowed in concentration.

"How big is this town?" Lauren asked and Carl clicked his tongue, his eyes searching the faded map.

"It's only a couple of streets," Carl answered, "We could clear out a shop or house. I doubt there will be too many Walkers around it."

"We'll set up for the night and decide where to go from here in the morning."

As the town grew closer, the buildings took shape. Small shops stood, windows cracked, dusted or broken. Litter and wreckage adorned the streets, decayed bodies lay along the sides of the streets. Cars stood idle, blood splattered along the windshield. Carl found it hard to imagine what it was like before, when he was just a kid, going too and fro from school, listening to his dad speaking the stories that he collected as a police officer.

A large school stood tall on the outskirts of the town, the red bricks walls that once closed around students almost every day, now deserted.

"We should go search that clinic," Carl offered, "We could pick up some more supplies."

Lauren nodded with a smile and she jogged up to the front door of the white-walled clinic, cursing when the handle stood stiff.

"Locked."

"This door is open," Carl called from around the corner. He pushed open the side-door and stepped inside, his flashlight illuminating the deserted hallway. Lauren followed, checking each door for any sign of supplies.