Chapter 27

Humanity.

Humanity can mean different things. It can mean humans, as a being. Or it can mean the qualitys we possess that make us human. In a world where violence is the only means of survival, humanity can be forgotten, lost, pushed back because it is no longer a necessity. Killing. Death. Loss. All take a toll on humanity. To kill or not kill.

Humanity, to a lot of people, means kindness and love, but it is more than that. To possess humanity, kindness comes hand in hand. Humanity is what makes us human, it is what makes us able to feel. Guilt. Empathy. Sympathy. All humane emotions that without humanity, would not exist.

When they watch a life drain out of another, a piece of their humanity dies aswell. It defines a person how they can keep a hold on whatever shred of humanity they have left.

Humanity is fading with the world, but only the strong can hold on.

~•~

Humanity is the ability to love.

She woke to a beat. A steady drumming, soft and never ending. She was surrounded by warmth, comfort, and contentment. His chest rose and fell ever so slightly every few seconds. His gentle heartbeat, the only sound she wanted to forever listen to, comforting her. His arms, wrapped around her as she lay pressed against his torso.

I love you

The words seemed to fizzle out of existance whenever she thought of saying them. She could stay like this forever, without need of complicating it. Only the wind would know her secret.

She thought about all the little things. How he would hold her hand, gently running the pad of his thumb over her fingers. She never knew if he was comforting her or himself. The way she would catch his eye, those blue eyes staring so deep into her that she could do nothing else but shy away from it's intensity. The sideways glances that he thought she would never notice, but she always did.

Each little thing only pushed her further towards the edge of her wall of security. Just one smile and she wouldn't be able to fight the aching in her heart, telling her that she needed to fix what she had broke.

"I'm sorry," She whispered.

"For what?" He answered, surprising her.

"Everything."

~•~

Sam had woken up early that day, she did most days. She would watch over everything that went on in Greenview, that was mainly her job, but she wanted to watch Ethan. She never trusted him, anyone could see that.

"Ethan," She greeted as she saw the young man walk down the stairs. "Anything on the agenda today?"

Ethan gave her an odd look, obviously not buying into the sarcastic sweet exterior she held.

"Training," He replied, "New recruits and those who are just crap fighters overall."

"Charming," Sam scoffed. "And who is doing the training?"

"Me," Ethan announced, "Diggy is waking them up now. If I can do one thing right it's fighting."

With that said he left, leaving Sam confused as to what his alterior motive was. She sat on one of the lobby chairs, watching people pass as they left their beds to go to work.