Chapter 17

The sky was pure black, the only light from the stars above them all. Carl gripped the straps of his backpack, nervous energy coursing through him. Lauren was beside him, along with Shadow.

"Michael has got one of the vans out back, all you need to do is drive it through the gates. I have someone at them ready to open them for you." Shadow whispered, pulling at the arms of her black hoodie.

"Will you be okay here?" Lauren asked her friend, a frown etched on her face, illuminated by the dull lighting from the moon.

"Yeah," Shadow waved her off. "Bennett knows better than to cause any more fights with people. My place is here, but I won't forget you, Lauren. You'll always be my Blade."

"Thanks Ayana. It means a lot." Lauren smiled softly. Carl knew she hated goodbye's, goodbye means forever to her.

"Sorry to break up the girl thing here," Michael whisper-yelled, appearing from around the corner. "The longer you stay here the more likely Bennett will see and we'll all die."

Michael led us around the corner and round into the courtyard. Lauren sucked in a deep breath when she saw the on lights of the gym. They could both see the obvious black van parked and ready to be driven out.

"Bennett has all of his people holed up in the gym so move quickly, once that engine turns on you better be gone fast." Michael said, jogging over to the black van. Shadow smiled at him and Lauren cocked an eyebrow.

"Did I miss something here?" She teased. Carl smiled at how carefree her words were. Maybe she wasn't completely cold and doomed after all.

"Yeah, we've actually been dating for a month," Shadow laughed and Lauren shot her a look of confusion. "You've been a bit preoccupied."

Shadow and Michael's relationship had always been something of skinny love. They both loved eachother, but refused to do anything about it or put a label on their relationship. They all sprinted across the tarmac and to the open back of the van. Michael stood beside the doors, watching for anyone that could see them leave.

"I've put some useful stuff in the duffel bag in the back," Michael smiled. "For good luck. You guys will be f-"

Michael never got to finish that sentence.

Trauma wasn't unknown to Lauren or Carl but they weren't prepared for what happened. A loud and clear shot rang out into the otherwise silent night. The bullet planted itself in Michael's skull, taking him down straight away. It took a second for everyone to register what happened. Shadow screamed and dropped to her knees, shaking the dead body of her boyfriend.

"Where do you think you're going?" Bennett's voice filled the night and Lauren felt like she was about to pass out.

Shadow screamed in frustration, grief and anger, she stood up, her hands coated in the blood that now pooled around Michael. Lauren and Carl took cover behind the van while grabbed whatever weapon was available to him. Lauren was still, her eyes transfixed on the body of Michael.

"Lauren, snap out of it," Carl yelled, shaking her arm. "We're going to die if we don't do something."

Lauren snapped out of her daze and grabbed the handgun that was tucked in the wasteband of her jeans. She turned and aimed from the side of the van. Bennett had about six people standing beside him, about a twenty meters from where they were standing. Bennett literally held the smoking gun.

Shadow had her gun held high, aimed at Bennett. She faced seven people who all had their weapons aimed at her. Lauren knew she wouldn't miss, but there would be no way she would get out of there alive. It was an open area, there was nowhere they could hide. The only thing between them was a large patch of tarmac.