Thirty Nine

|Song: Piano By Ariana Granda|

Thirty Nine

Juliette's Pov

"Can I get you anything?" I called as I was towel drying my hair and walking back into the living room. I frowned when I didn't hear an answer right away, but then I walked into the room and was struck dumb when I saw her standing at the window, both her hands braced against the windowsill and her head bowed. My eyes ran over the contours of her shoulders and back before I shook myself out of it.

Stop it! You're supposed to be mad at her! I scolded myself. Though I had to admit, I doubt my icy front will remain much longer. I never could stay mad at her for very long.

She looked so different with her short hair. It was messy and longer on the top and almost shaggy looking due to the fact that she'd been running her hands through it every couple minutes, but it was also elegant where it caressed the base of her neck and I all I found myself wanting to do was run my fingers through it.

She turned to face me, and her cinnamon colored eyes flared as they met mine. "No, thank you. I'm fine."

I eyed her for a moment, my gaze dropping just the slightest and widening as I saw the dreamcatcher necklace I'd given to her mom for her birthday. She gave me an odd look that told me I'd been staring to long and I covered my reaction with a shrug before wandering into the kitchen to fix myself a pot of coffee. I bit my lip to try and stifle the smile that wanted to break through at the sight of the necklace against her skin.

I knew I made the right choice in buying it for her. "How've you been?" I nearly dropped the coffee pot when her voice resounded right behind me. I turned and saw her leaning up against the counter.

"Good, the wound is healed fully but still hurts sometimes." Her eyes flashed and a muscle in her jaw jumped as she clenched her teeth, releasing a slow breath at my words. I wanted to storm over to her and shake her to her senses. After all this time, she was still blaming herself? She should be mad at me. I'm the one that risked my own life.

I almost snorted as the irony of the situation made itself known. I was mad at her for not being mad at me. How much sense did that make?

"Juliette?"

My name on her lips shocked me out of my daze. My eyes returned to see her watching me curiously. Her head tipped cutely to the side allowing a piece of hair to fall over her eye and before I could stop myself I was reaching over to brush it away.

I could see the moisture form in her eyes and was again reminded of the night she left me in the hospital and I'd done the same thing. She was confused at my gentleness and honestly I was as well. Just a few hours ago I was so angry at her but now.....seeing how much she'd changed and I couldn't do anything but wish I could just press my lips against hers. I decided then and there that I was done with wishing I could have her. I was done hoping she'd come back to me. I gave her my heart and its time she realized I'm not going to take it back.

She was mine.

My coffee sloshed over the the side of my cup as I slammed it down onto the counter. Her eyes widened at my sudden ferocity and the determination in my gaze but I took no notice of it as I stalked over to her and grabbed her face in my hands. My fingers automatically tangled in her new hair and I managed to murmur a "this is new" before I lost control and crushed my lips to hers.