Twenty Two

Twenty Two

Ms. Conner's Pov

"Well well look who it is. Hey there kitten." Caleb grinned maliciously at Shay from her position from behind me. His eyes ran over her body in a way that made me want to choke the living hell out of him. She flinched, and her back hit the car door.

"Do not speak to her. Don't even look at her!" I snarled at him, shifting a little to block Shay from his sight more. A muscle in my jaw ticked and I could feel the vibrations through the car from the force of her tremors. "What do you want?" I growled lowly.

Caleb's lips thinned into a straight line as his gaze raked over me as well. "It's not quite your place to be asking questions, Miss Conner." His lip curled into a sneer. "If anything, I should be asking you what you're doing with a student, outside of school."

Every muscle in my body tightened at his silent implications. "I am simply taking Shay out to breakfast. I figured she could use a friend after what she's been through." I felt her curl her hands into the back of my shirt and tensed further. She was reaching out in her pain and I wanted nothing more than to turn and wrap her in my arms but I couldn't, not with him there.

Caleb's beady black eyes moved from her to me, the wheels in his head turning. I inwardly cursed at him for not being one of the normal dumb jocks that usually scream and run away.

Instead he had to be smart.

"I would advise you to get in your car and drive away Mr. Ryce. I don't want to have to call the police and tell them you are currently violating your restraining order." Though I will be once you're out of sight. I added mentally. I narrowed my eyes at him, daring him to make a move. As a Conner, I was well trained in most forms of martial art. Of course, I couldn't make a move even if I wanted to, because I am a teacher, and I can't assault a student.

But he just held his hands up in a 'I surrender' position with that creepy ass grin on his face. "Chill Miss Conner. I just wanted to have a nice conversation with my friend Shay here about some things, but I guess I'll have to wait until she comes back to school."

Like hell.

I knew I couldn't keep Shay out of school, but when she does come back I will be doing everything in my power to keep that ass away from her.

He shot us both a cocky smile and walked backwards to his car before getting in and speeding off.

I waited until he was out of sight and a good distance away before I spun on my heel and wrapped Shay in my arms. She released a strangled sob and curled into me.

"Shh, you're safe, you're safe."

I stroked her hair softly, feeling my blood boil in my veins. How dare he! After a while Shay's tears dried. She hiccuped and blinked up at me with her wide eyes. My heart clenched at the broken look in them.

"Don't call the police." She begged, tears filling her eyes again. I looked at the sky in frustration. "Bella, I have too. He'll come back. It could be at your house, when you're alone. I don't want him anywhere near you."

A pair of tears drifted out of her eyes as she pleaded with me. I sighed in defeat and cupped her face, brushing away the stray tears with my thumbs. "Are you still up for some food?" She gave me a watery smile and nodded. I pulled her too me and kissed her forehead, my lips lingering a little longer than necessary.

"Ok." I mumbled against her skin. "Let's go." I laced my fingers in hers and pulled her towards the building.

Luckily the seating part didn't take as long as I thought it would, and before long we were waiting on our drinks and making small talk.