Eleven

|Song: The A Team by Megan Nicole|

Eleven

"So based on our attire and my friend's cryptic behavior, should I be worried about where we're going?" Caleb smiled at me in confusion.

"What do you mean? We're just going to the pizza place. Is that still okay?" He worried.

I laughed and nodded. "I'm totally down for that." So, Genny just wanted me to look like a stripper, cool. I vowed to give her a stern talking to the next time I saw her.

He sighed in relief and smiled back at me. "Awesome." The car ride was mostly silent, but not awkwardly so. We talked about our likes and dislikes and he made a joke about my taco shirt that had the tips of my ears burning but eventually we just fell silent. I enjoyed watching the world blur by through the windows. I honestly could see myself being more than friends with Caleb, but I didn't think I wanted that just yet.

The drive to the pizza place, which was a cute, oddly rounded little brick building named "Pablo's Pizza" was fairly short; only 20 minutes or so. Caleb pulled up to the building and parked. He climbed out and I watched humorously as he sprinted around the car to get my door.

"My lady." He bowed before presenting me with his arm. I giggled at his goofiness and tucked my arm in the crook of his elbow to hoist myself out of the car. 

"Why thank you kind sir." I batted my eyelashes in exaggeration and he laughed while tugging me towards the building.

The smell of meats and dough immediately filled my nose and my mouth immediately started watering. The inside was surprisingly large and furnished nicely. Tables sat here and there, with lanterns strung up above them. All in all it was a very cozy and welcoming place and I loved it immediately.

The waiter at the front welcomed is with a smile. She was pretty, with long brown hair and green eyes. "Two?" She asked, looking at me. I nodded and she grabbed two menus. "Right this way. My name is Kassandra, I'll be your waiter tonight."

She set us down at a booth next to a window which I was grateful for. "Can I start you off with a beverage?" I ordered a chocolate milkshake and Caleb ordered a Mountain Dew. I wrinkled my nose and he teased me about it.

"So," I said as I twirled my straw around in my cup. "Fiction or Non-Fiction?"

He looked at me oddly but replied "Fiction, why?"

I shrugged and winked, "Just trying to set the mood."

His pearly whites were revealed as he flashed me a grin. "Well then, let's get started."

<><><>

"...And then he....he toppled over and just sat there with this vacant stare." Caleb howled with laughter and slapped his hand on the table, earning annoyed looks from people nearby.

I laughed with him. He'd been telling about this friend he dared to drink a whole bottle of fireball and the guy had gotten so drunk he could barely remember his own name. Over the last hour we'd played 20 questions. Surprisingly I learned a lot about him. His favorite color was blue which was a nice change from the red and black. He loved classical music, he normally hated large crowds, and he didn't even freak when I stole bites of food from his plate. We were a lot more alike than I ever anticipated. I still felt odd though, like I shouldn't be here with him. It was unsettling.