Fourteen

|Song: Broken by Linsey Haun|

Fourteen

If you looked close enough at the walls, you could just make out the little cracks of paint. I vaguely wondered why someone would hire a painter that mediocre if their house was this extravagant, but whatever I guess.

I could just make out Caleb's frustrated grunting as he struggled with something off to the side. I was numb. I couldn't think. My body and mind had given up.

But then I heard the definitive clink of his belt hitting the floor and I was immediately flooded with adrenaline.

No way in hell is he getting that thing inside me.

I scrambled off the bed and lunged at the door, pulling on my underwear as fast as I could. I fully expected him to grab me again but I must've been too quick. I could vaguely hear him screaming at me in rage but I couldn't make out the words as I shoved through crowds of people.

A couple of them yelled at me in annoyance but I just pushed by them in my panic. Finally the cool air hit me and I ran even harder down the street. I just needed to get away.

Away away away away. It was a constant chant in my head.

It wasn't long before I'd gotten myself completely lost. It was dark so I couldn't see much except for the sidewalk in the lamplight. I just walked blindly down the street, having no idea where I was going. Eventually I came to a building that looked like an apartment building. I was so tired and I just slumped down in front of it and leaned against the cool bricks.

It was peaceful for about a split second, then the events of the night slammed into me and I let out a broken sob, curling my arms around my body. I was so lost, drowning in my tears that I didn't even hear her walk up to me or kneel down in front of me.

"Shay?"

I started violently, smacking the back of my head into the brick as I jerked it up. My face twisted in pain, but I managed to push some of it back. I blinked a few times to clear my eyes of the tears and makeup that I was sure was all running down my face. Her wide blue eyes met mine, and even in my traumatized state I still managed to take note of how unfairly gorgeous she was.

"M-miss C-Conner?" I stuttered out, a few traitorous tears escaping my eyes. I wiped them away hastily, only because she looked like she was about to do it herself and I didn't know how much touching I could handle at the moment.

Her mouth opened slightly. "What happened, amore."

My head swam as she unleashed the fully capacity of her Italian accent on my ruined mind. My mouth opened and closed as I rapidly attempted to sort through my thoughts and form words.

"I-I was a-at a p-party a-and-" I could barely finish my sentence before bursting into tears.

My face and body hurt so badly but the worst of the pain was in my chest, I realized. When I finally noticed it, the pain increased tenfold as if to punish me for not noticing it sooner. I gasped and clutched at my chest as I felt my breathing restrict. Everything blurred, sounds, colors, Miss Conner's face swam before me, her lips moving rapidly although for some reason I couldn't hear anything. The pain in my chest grew until before I knew it I was toppling towards the pavement.