One

|Shay in pic above|

One

"Shay, hurry up! You're going to be late!" I heard my mom yell from downstairs. I quickly finished putting on the rest of my eyeliner and mascara before fluffing up my long curly brown hair. "Coming!" I yelled, grabbing my black leather jacket and backpack before heading downstairs.

My mom was in the kitchen fully "scrubbed-out" when I came down. She was a high-up neurosurgeon so she wasn't home all that much, but we'd just moved to Seattle and she seemed to be loving the hospital here. "Morning." I leaned over and kissed her cheek as I passed her. She turned towards me in surprise. "Well someone's chipper this morning." I shrugged and reached around her to grab a yogurt from the fridge.

"I guess I'm just excited for a new start." I said as I took a bite of the strawberry goodness. We'd moved here from Florida a week ago, and not on the best terms. My dad had walked out on us when I was 5 because he was tired of late-night hospital visits and fighting with my mom about bills. I had a condition called Marfan Syndrome. It's an inherited disease that can affect many parts of the body like the skin, eyes, bones, lungs, or the heart. Lucky me my dad gave me the heart problem.

They call it Mitral Valve Prolapse, it's a billowing of the heart valve that may be associated with irregular or rapid heartbeats and even shortness of breath. I had surgery after surgery until I was ten and my mom just decided to quit. She didn't want me to live in the hospital anymore. She thought I should have a chance at a normal life.

My mom turned and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "I'm really glad to hear that honey. Are you ready to go?" At my nod she grabbed her purse and dark blue scrubcap with puppies on it and we took off.

<><><>

"Holy shit mom, what did you do? Borrow money from the pope?" I said as I openly gawked at the building before me. The school was ginormous and made almost entirely of glass. I could see the bridges between stories even as we pulled into the parking lot.

"Shay! Language." Mom scolds me half-heartedly as she also ogles the building. "It is huge though." She agrees, putting the car in park. Students are pilling in from all sides as I can't help but notice they're all dressed in clothes that were probably worth more than three of my houses combined. Frowning, I glance down at my off-the-shoulder Metallica crop top and high waisted tie-dye shorts and converse. Although Seattle isn't exactly the hottest place on earth, it's still hotter than Alaska.

I didn't really care about what people thought of me. At my old school I often wore low-cut shirts that exposed the long thin scar down my chest. I wasn't trying to flaunt it, but I wasn't going to pretend it wasn't there. I know it tended to made people uncomfortable, but I liked being unique.

"Shay?" My mom cocked her head at me, a concerned look in her yes. "You alright love?" I gave her a smile and said yes. "Okay, do you need me to come in with you?" I shook my head and grabbed my bag from the back and climbed out of the car. "Nah, I'm good. Go work on people's heads!" She laughed at me and pulled out of the parking lot stopping for a moment to say 'I love you' before she left.

I slowly made my way across the parking lot, my nerves growing a little when the school continued to loom over me the closer I got. Damn it's big. I was so caught up in my surroundings that I failed watch where I was going and to see the person in front of me as she opened her car door. My forehead hit it with a smack and I immediately fell to the ground in a dazed heap. My head flared with vengeance prompting a pain-filled moan out of me.

"Oh my god! Are you alright?" The voice was melodic and extremely soothing with a hint of an Italian accent as it washed over me. My vision blurred and dipped as I squinted, trying to make out the voice of the person in front of me. When my vision finally did clear and I was able to identify the person in front of me, my heart actually stopped and my pain from a minute ago seemed to fade away.

She was gorgeous.

Long blond hair the color of honey rippled down her back in waves, hinting gold in the sunlight. Her features were perfectly straight and defined, her lips pink and full. She had a beauty mark that sat just off to the side of her nose and I immediately wanted to kiss it. Her eyes looked like they'd been filled with water from the Caribbean ocean they were so blue. And they were staring right at me. A fire lit on both my arms and I realized she was gripping them. Delicious heat spread through me at the contact. Her soft fingers came up to probe my head gently, though in that moment I could feel no pain.

"Are you alright?" She asked again, a panicked look in her eyes. I blinked at her, and some part of my chaotic mind managed to form a sentence. "Yea, I-I think so." Relief filled her features and I let her pull me to my feet.

The ground swayed and dipped when I was standing and I found myself hurtling towards the ground when tan, warm arms wrapped around me along with the scent of apple-spice and cinnamon. "Easy there." She chuckled, the sound vibrating straight through me.

I mumbled an apology, but couldn't seem to pull my gaze away. I noticed how much taller she was than me and looking down I saw why. She adorned a pair of six-inch grey heels. As my gaze traveled up from there heat pooled in my stomach at the sight of her long tan legs and flawless skin. She wore a modest grey dress that I doubted would look that great on anyone else.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Her blue eyes seemed to pierce right through me. My mouth opened and closed as I struggled to form words, but before I could get anything out the warning bell sounded behind me. "Shit! I'm late!" I scrambled down to grab my bag. The woman locked her car and kept pace with me. "Relax, love. There's two warning bells." She laughed as she watched me.

"What's your first class?" She asked, glancing at me.

"Senior English." I mumbled as I hoofed it towards the building.

"Oh? With who?" I glanced at her, narrowing my eyes. Why did she care?

"Um....Miss Conner?" I didn't intend for it to be a question but it was. A smile formed on her face and I paused for a moment as we reached the doors. "Oh good, you can stop by the office then and get a note."

I raised a brow as I tried to determine her cause for changing the subject. "Do you have her too?"

She laughed, confusing me, but she had the most beautiful laugh I'd ever heard. "I am her." My brows furrowed as I stared at her. Her words sunk in after a minute and my mouth dropped open.

Shit!

*The first few chapters will only be posted for now, because I want to see what you think before I add more. Don't forget to vote/comment!*