Chapter 12 (REWRITE)

Henry began to pace in his room, his hands running through his hair as thoughts infiltrated his head. Should I go in there? She could be scared of me? But what if she needs something and I'm not there? She's still scared of me.

He stayed outside Rose's room for a short while before he decided to walk inside. Rose was peacefully asleep, wrapped in her blanket like a cocoon. He laid down on the floor, next to her bed, and tried to rest.

***

The two were sitting in the library, Rose was reading a book while Henry was doing something on the computer. Some time had passed since the dream and though it still bugged Henry, he wouldn't press her for any information. He was the one who accidentally saw the dream anyway.

"Can I a-ask you something?" Rose asked out of nowhere.

"Yeah," Henry said. There was another long pause.

"I had a dream a few days ago and you-you hurt and then killed me because I'm a human and you're a vampire," she said as she averted her eyes like she used to do. Subconsciously closing the book, she laid it down.

Henry turned off the computer and faced her. "That will never happen."

Rose nodded as she continued to look at the ground.

Henry's mind willed him to move before he could stop himself. He walked to Rose and knelt in front of her. Cautiously and riskily, he gently tilted her face in his direction and stared into her emerald eyes. To his surprise, she didn't flinch. Rose actually liked the feeling.

"Isn't it illegal for a human to like a vampire?" she asked in a faint voice, and now, she finally looked him straight in the eyes.

"Yes." The words tasted like poison. "Why?" He thought he already knew the answer but still had to ask. She remained silent and looked down again. Again, he tilted her face towards him. "Rose, please. I want to know, and I won't tell anybody." He promised.

She stayed quiet.

I think I like him. I think he might actually care for me and see me as more than a Pet, even though that's all I am. Rose thought to herself. She avoided eye contact again.

His eyes slightly widened. That small detail in the dream had been glossed over by him, he had only focused on the fact that she might still be scared of him.

Without even thinking about it, his hand gently grasped hers. Rose's eyes widened and she almost pulled her hand away, not understanding. Suddenly, her cheeks turned a bright red when she realized he had read her thoughts.

Henry slightly laughed and smiled when he saw the blush. She quickly looked away, the blush deepening. "To me," Henry began, "you are so much more than a Pet."

***

Rose's attention turned to the door when she heard the crunching of rocks, Henry had quickly learned to make noise when approaching her in the garden. She faced him and allowed her feet to hang over the rock, falling into the steady flow of the waterfall.

Henry leaned against the same rock and looked at her, a small smile on his lips.

"So your birthday is tomorrow."

"I guess."

"This isn't an 'I guess' situation. What do you want to do?"

"You do stuff for your birthday?" Her face was contorted with confusion.

He stared at her blankly for a second. "Yes, did you not celebrate it?" he asked in total disbelief.

"I wouldn't call it a celebration. My family just gave me extra food, and we didn't move around on that day."

"So I'm guessing you've never had cake?" Henry raised an eyebrow, waiting for her answer.

"What's a cake?" Rose asked, completely dumbfounded.

"I'm definitely making you a cake."

"What . . . what is a cake?"

"It's something sweet that you eat."

Rose had only had a few sweet things, her body still hadn't fully adjusted to real food, let alone small bits of the sugary stuff. However, she was finding that she could eat more and Henry was making less soup and more food.

"I'll find a recipe that isn't so sweet." He lifted his head slightly. "I think you'll like vanilla."

"Vanilla? What does vanilla taste like?"

Henry opened his mouth multiple times before his eyebrows furrowed together. "I have no idea how to describe it."

"So vanilla is a flavor?"

"Yes, it's a flavor. Please don't worry over a cake."

"Sorry."

He smiled. "It's fine."

Rose returned the smile and slightly scooted closer to him, her feet still in the water.

"Can I join you?" he asked.

She nodded and scooted away. He climbed the rock and sat next to her.

Looking around, he found himself beginning to relax. No other room in his house had this effect on him. There was something about being in the sun without becoming itchy or irritated that relaxed him.

Accidently, their hands brushed together, but neither pulled away.

Thank you as always as reading. Hope you liked it.

Don't forget to comment, follow, and vote. ;)

THIS BOOK IS NOW PUBLISHED SO IF YOU WANT TO FINISH IT YOU HAVE TO BUY IT.

GO BUY AND REVIEW IT ON AMAZON AND GOODREADS!!!! THIS BOOK IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON IBOOKS, NOOK, KOBO, SCRIBED, 24 SYMBOLS, !NDIGO, AND ANDERSON AND ROBERTSON. GO BUY AND REVIEW IT THERE TOO!