Chapter 1 (REWRITE)

*Picture of Henry above*

The bell that hung above the door of the Pet Shop rang as it opened, shaking back and forth before finally settling. A tall man wearing a suit entered. His nose scrunched up as the unpleasant smell of the shop entered his nose.

The Shopkeeper lifted his head from his paperwork, as he lowered the pen to the desk and turned to look at who had entered. His mouth stretched into a thin smile as his fingers ran through his thinning brown hair.

"Ah, Lord Henry. What a pleasant surprise," he said with a formal, rehearsed voice. The Shopkeeper went over to shake the man's hand. A few of the pets rolled their eyes in disgust. The vampire was a Lord because he, or one of his relatives, was one of the vampires that started the uprising, taking millions of dollars and enslaving billions of humans in the process.

"I'm looking for a new pet," Henry said as he looked around the room, not particularly paying attention to what the Shopkeeper was saying. Dim lights caused the hue of the room to be an ugly, disgusting, faded yellow, and unfortunately, the lack of windows allowed the color to remain. In the middle, where the vampires would walk, was a concrete walkway, while the floor of the cages was dirt. The pets knew better than to throw filth on the concrete.

Many eyes peered through the cage bars, staring at Henry. Some averted their eyes quickly. Others stared right at him, almost challenging him.

"Of course. Do you want a boy or a girl?" the Shopkeeper asked as he started to walk.

"Girl," Henry said as he scanned a few cages. One had a girl sitting against the wall, staring in the opposite direction. Another had a girl that was drawing in the dirt, trying to pass the time.

The cages were so small that a child's head would barely touch the top of it. Each had three cement brick walls and had a metal bar door.

"Do you have anything in mind?" the Shopkeeper asked as he continued to walk, not bothering to look in the cages.

"No," Henry said as he looked in a few more cages. The ages that he saw varied; some as young as six, others as old as fifty. Each age had their own advantages and disadvantages. Henry stopped suddenly as something caught his eye. "What about this one?" he asked as he peered through the bars.

The Shopkeeper stopped and knew which human was in there. "Oh, her name is Rose," he said in disgust.

"Rose," Henry said to himself, almost in a whisper. He stared at the back of the sleeping girl on the dirty floor. Her body was slowly falling and rising with each breath. She was curled up in a small ball, as if it would protect her. Her shirt, though big, showed off her ribs as it pressed against her.

"If you wish my Lord, I could wake her?" the Shopkeeper asked as he peered into the cage.

"Yes, please," Henry said as he moved to the left a little, giving the Shopkeeper more room. Despite the movement, his eyes never left the sleeping girl.

"As you wish," he said as he laid his hands on a chain that was connected to the door and attached to the metal collar around Rose's neck. The chain was there to remind the pets that they were nothing but pets.

The Shopkeeper yanked on the chain, harder than needed. Rose was dragged across the dirt floor, waking her with a jolt of fear and pain. She rolled over on her side coughing and gasping for air as her hands tried to relieve any tension that the collar was creating. Her rasping, strained breaths echoed throughout the air before it turned to whimpers.

"This-" the Shopkeeper pulled the chain again, this time even harder. Before Rose could stop or try to lessen the impact, her body collided with the solid metal, earning another pain filled whimper. A cloud of dirt rose around her before it settled on her skin and clothes. "-is Rose," the Shopkeeper finished as he moved to the side so Henry could get a better look. He started to kick some of the dirt that had come onto the concrete back into her cage.