Chapter 4 (REWRITE)

The ride to the house seemed faster than the trip to the mall. They were in complete silence, both caught in their own thoughts. Rose ran her finger over the bruise on her hand. Henry's eyes were glaring daggers at the road.

I wish that she would have just told me about the bruises. But, she did seem highly upset that I found out. She even thought that I was going to return her. What am I going to do? Henry thought as he quickly glanced at Rose.

Why? Why didn't he want to give me up? It's a game, it has to be a game. No vampire has ever been this nice to me without it just being a cruel game to hurt me. I can't believe a word that he's saying, I can't, Rose thought. She pressed down a little on the bruise, reminding herself that a vampire had done this to her.

Just as they both wrapped up their thoughts, Henry pulled into the garage.

Henry laid the bags down next to the couch. Henry began to rummage through the bags, searching for the one containing the medicines. When he finally found it, he dumped all of the contents onto the coffee table and sat down.

"Please sit," he said.

She lowered herself onto the ground and Henry internally sighed. He had forgotten that she had a tendency to do this. However, he didn't blame her. He knew that this was caused by years of training that wouldn't go away within a day.

"You are allowed to sit on the furniture," he said as he reached down. He put his hands under Rose's armpits and lifted her off the ground and onto the couch. She sunk into the soft couch, savoring this act of kindness. "You are also allowed to speak when you want." His voice sounded a little annoyed and stressed. She nodded. He sighed. "Here, take these." He picked up the pills from the table and handed her them and the water.

She gave it a second glance, put one in her mouth, and doused it down with the water. Next, Henry unclipped her collar and grabbed an ointment bottle. Carefully moving her hair out of the way, he began to apply the clear substance to the scratches on her neck. He heard as her breathing picked up.

"It will only hurt for a minute. I promise this will reduce the pain and allow it to heal faster."

Once her neck was generously coated, he sat back and threw the container on the table again.

"Let's just watch a show," Henry said as he grabbed the remote and turned the TV on. Rose stared at the screen in awe - her lips parted and eyes wide. Henry laughed to himself as he looked at Rose's reaction. It was like nothing she had ever seen. Her old Master would not allow her to enjoy any sort of comforts, including a TV.

He leaned back and sank on the couch, his shoulder accidentally brushing against hers. She flinched and tensed and he scooted away.

"Sorry," he said.

Rose was silent for a second as she contemplated the fact that her Master was apologizing to her. "I-it's ok, Master. Sorry for tensing, I-I didn't mean it."

"It's all right, I understand." He scooted back more.

Now, Rose felt guilty for making her Master move away. If he had wanted to sit where he was, then he would have sat there. He wanted to sit where I am. . . . She contemplated how to say her next sentence without sounding like she was telling him what to do.

"Y-you, um. You . . ." she trailed off as they made eye contact. "You can sit here, Master." She blurted out. It only took a second for fear to enter into her face and for Henry to register it.

"Only if it's one hundred percent ok with you. Is it?" Henry asked, trying his best to defuse the situation. She frantically nodded her head, and he scooted back to the spot. Rose leaned back on the couch, allowing Henry's arm to be in front of her.