s e v e n.

"are you sure?" lucia asks, and i gulp, nodding.

"where are you going?" i say curiously because of her outfit, a red dress that shows off her curves.

not that i mind... i'm a guy, okay?!

"out with my boyfriend." she says, looking unhappy.

"damn it." i whisper, looking at the ground.

"what?" she asks softly, searching my eyes.

i stand directly in front of her, my hand resting on the wall behind her.

"what are you doing nate?" she breathes out, not meeting my eyes.

"lucia, i want you." i slam my hand on the wall.

she breathes in sharply. "stop."

and then she slips behind my arm to answer the door.

she opens the door and i see jack, one of my old buddies, smirking at her.

"hey baby," he says, pulling her in for a rough kiss, his hand drifting down to her butt. she pulls away, and then looks at the floor when he sees me.

"what the heck, lucia?! are you cheating on me?!" he yells at her, her eyes still on the ground.

he raises his hand and she flinches, and i step toward him threateningly.

he looks up and i see lucia shut her eyes tightly and shake her hand very slightly.

i clear my throat and mumble, "no, jack i'm just babysitting her brother."

he scoffs but doesn't say anything else.

"let's go, lucia." he talks softly to her, grabbing her hand and pulling the door shut with a slam.

--

i haven't talked to him in a while, and i guess this is why.

he was always a player and a jerk in high school, and he was the one who always made fun of lucia behind her back.

i don't understand how she forgave him, but can't forgive me.

once i was out of the way, he must have forced his way into her delicate, beautiful heart.

God i sound sappy.

i shake my head as i go to find tyler. that kid has got skills at jenga.