40: The One Day

Steve's P.O.V
I was laying on the couch watching TV basically waiting for Jade to walk out of the room at anytime. The elevator dinged making me look up to see Emma and Matthew. Emma walked over to me and sat down beside me. "I wouldn't bug Jade today if I were you" Emma said.
"Why?" I asked as Matthew walked over with a bottle of water.
"Because today is the same day that she and her mom were taken by Hydra" Matthew said.
"So today Jade will probably be in her bedroom crying in a corner" Emma said, "don't even get up and go in that room."
"She's always angry and upset on this day" Matthew explained as Thea and Arianna entered the room.
"Did she come out?" Thea asked.
"No" Emma said sadly, "go tell the other Avengers."
"Okay" Arianna said as she walked back into the elevator. I had no idea what was going on.
Soon all of us except for Arianna, Thea and Matthew who decided not to see what happens when Jade comes out of the bedroom. Emma explained that she's seen this happen every single year. The sound of a door opening caused us to look down the hallway. Jade was wearing one of my sweatshirts and a pair of Thor's sweatpants. Her hair was pulled back into a messy bun. She looked like a mess. But still adorable. She looked at all of us and raised her eyebrow wondering why we were all in the living room.
"Is this an intervention?" Jade asked her nose sounding stuffy. Poor thing. I just wanted to wrap my arms around her and tell her everything would be okay.
"No, Jade" Emma said. Jade nodded in response before walking over to the kitchen. She opened Tony's secret stash of alcohol. Emma ran over taking the bottle from her making Jade pout. Emma gave the bottle to Tony which would soon be a mistake. Jade grumbled something before walking over to the couch and laying down beside me. She laid her head in my lap.
"Tell everybody to get out" she whispered to me. I nodded in understanding before telling everyone, in a nice way, to get out. Soon it was just me and Jade. I rubbed Jade's back trying to get her to fall asleep. Her eyes looked like they were about to close.
"Do you wanna talk?" I asked.
"No" she mumbled pushing my chest telling me to lay down with her. I laid down and moved up laying on my chest. She buried her face in my chest trying to fall asleep. I must admit it was pretty cute.
"Jade" I said. She hummed in response, "Never mind. Get some sleep." I grabbed a blanket and draped it over her body with a small smile. I didn't like seeing her upset. In fact I never liked seeing her upset.

Flashback
I was stood in Jade's room staring at the broken window. She broke the window to use her powers. She couldn't use her powers inside. She wanted to get out of here and she did that. I felt something inside. Guilt. If I haven't said anything to her maybe she'd still be here. I heard someone behind me and I turned to see Johnny. He walked over and stood beside me staring at the window.
"We'll find her" I said looking down at the floor.
"Rogers, Storm, the agents are back from the code house" JARIVS said.
"Thanks JARVIS" I said as me and Johnny walked out of the room and into the elevator. I pushed the button and the doors closed. Soon the doors opened again and we walked into the conference room. Bruce stood at the front with his hands behind his back. Tony sat in the chair next to Clint while Nat was on the other side of Clint. Arianna was sitting next to Sue and Reed. Johnny sat down next to Ben. I sat down next to Thor. Emma and Thea were on the other side of Thor.
"The agents searched the house. No sign of Jade. But she was there earlier" Bruce said laying down what he had behind his back onto the table. Jade's katana. Emma picked it up slowly and stared at the weapon.
"Loki found her" Thea said. I forgot she had telepathy. There was an explosion below and the alarms started going off. We all got up just as the power shut off. Arianna lit her hand on fire allowing some light for us. Thea stopped in her tracks and stared ahead.
"What?" I asked.
"Jade's here" she said staring at the door, "L-Loki has her under his control."
"Hit her on the head if you find her" Clint said as we all split up once the lights came back on.
"Thea, who's Jade's target?" I asked into the ear piece.
"You are" Thea answered with a trembling voice. Out of no where Jade swung around from a pole and kicked me in the chest. I back up a bit as she stood up and got into a fighting stance. Her eyes a horrifying icy blue color. She ran at me and threw a punch but I quickly grabbed her arm. I pinned her arm against her back. She flung her head back hitting me in the nose. I let go of her and backed up keeping a distance. She turned quickly so she was facing me. She pulled out her katana and pointed it at my throat.
"Jade" I said as I saw tears in her eyes, "you can fight it." I quickly grabbed the katana throwing it across the room so it was out of her reach. She stood there staring at me ready to fight. I held my shield out in front of me as she pulled a knife from her combat boot. She ran towards me and brought the knife down onto the shield. She kicked my knee. She dropped the knife and I swung my shield at her. Hitting the side of her head. She smacked against the wall. Not hard enough. She looked up at me fighting the person controlling her inside. Her eyes said to hit her again but her actions said another. She fought back. I got my shield ready to strike her again. I didn't want to do that. I hit her hard on the head making her lose consciousness. She fell to the floor with a thud. I scooped her up into my arms and threw her over my shoulder.
"I have Jade. She's knocked out pretty good" I said.
"We have Loki as well" Thor said as I laid Jade on the ground and taped her legs and hands together just to be sure. I picked her up again and threw her over my shoulder once more. I walked into the conference room and saw Thea sitting in her seat.
"Loki has something bigger planned. I don't know what" Thea said as her eyes went to Jade, "is she okay?"
"She will be" I said as Johnny walked in. His eyes went to Jade's unconscious form that was laying over my shoulder.
"Is she okay?" Johnny asked walked over.
"She'll be fine" I said.
"No she won't" Tony said walking in taking off his suit, "Loki did something to her powers. It's minor and can be fixed but he basically shut her powers down. So now she's powerless for about a week."
"Why the tape?" Reed asked.
"Just to make sure that she doesn't escape if she's still under Loki's control" I said.
"Go lay her down in the infirmary" Nat said and I did what I was told. I walked to the infirmary and laid her down on a bed. I carefully put cuffs on her left wrist and covered her with a blanket. She shifted in her sleep and her face changed from peaceful to fear. Her eyebrows furrowed and it looked like she was in pain. She mumbled something in Russian that I didn't understand.
"Nat?" I asked into the ear piece.
"Пожалуйста, прекратите! Кто-то мне помочь! It means Please stop! Someone help me!" Nat said.
"Wake her up!" Johnny said quickly and I shook Jade's shoulder gently. Her eyes snapped open and she kicked me in the groin.
"Oh my god! I'm sorry Steve" she said sitting up and she tried to stand but the cuffs kept her from moving far from the bed. I stood up watching as she stared at the cuffs.
"What?" She whispered. She tugged on the cuffs trying to get out of them.
"Jade. Is he out?" I asked she turned to me with fear in her eyes.
"Is this real?" She asked.
"Yeah" I said raising an eyebrow at her.
"Your nose. It's purple" she said staring at my nose. She backed away from me, "I'm nothing but monster."
"CAP! Hurry the temperature in the room is dropping" Bruce said.
"Jade, you're not a monster" I said as I saw ice slowly start to form across the floor.
"Yes I am Steve! I'm nothing but a monster!" She yelled as ice crept up the wall.
"JADE!" I yelled and she stopped crying and stared at me. The ice slowly started to disappear from the walls and floor, "you're not a monster." I walked over and took off the cuffs. She rubbed her wrist showing the marks from pulling at the cuffs. She stared at me for a while before saying something that made my heart break.
"My dad is a monster... Doesn't that make me one?"
Flashback Over

Jade had fallen asleep and didn't wake up until 3:40 in the afternoon. She slept for a long while. Well I slept for 70 years once. "How long was I asleep?" Jade asked tiredly.
"6 hours" I said kissing her head as Winter jumped up onto the couch and licked Jade's face trying to cheer her up.
"I love you, Steven" Jade said.
"I love you too, Jade" I said. I never thought I'd say that to her.