32: You Have Heart

The cold air whipped around us as we arrived at the abandon Hydra base to search for evidence or anything information. We broke up into groups of two. Of course I was with Steve. We walked slowly through the abandon halls ready to fight whatever or whoever came at us. I saw a large metal door that intrigued me. I pointed to the door and slowly used my telepathy to see what was inside. In my mind it showed that there was nothing inside. I opened my eyes and nodded to Steve to signal that no one was inside waiting for us. Me and him opened the door. The floors and walls were made out of stone that were made to keep whatever what was here inside this room. There was a small bed against the wall and a desk on the other side of the room. There were four building blocks lying on the floor waiting for someone to play with them. Dust and cobwebs gathered in the corners of the room. I rubbed my finger against the green bed sheets wondering what once slept here. Steve was over by the desk looking at documents that were left over by Hydra agents.
"Oh my god. Jade come look at this" Steve said and I walked over looking at the documents. My eyes widened once I saw a new formula for a remake of the super soldier serum that they used on Steve. I grabbed a file and opened it. A little girl's picture was inside. She was maybe 5 or 8 with long brownish blonde hair and blue eyes. She had a smile that could melt a mother's heart. I felt like we were being watched. I set the file down and turned around staring at the closet that was open a crack.
"What's wrong?" Steve asked as I slowly approached the closet. I didn't answer Steve and pointed to the file that I had set down. He opened it and read the file. I put my hand on the closet door handle and slowly pulled it open. The creak of the old door could give a person some serious goosebumps. I heard a little bit of heavy breathing knowing that it wasn't an adult but a child. There were a child's clothing inside on the hangers. I opened the other closet door slowly and noticed a pair of small feet hiding behind a few things.
"Come on out" I said in a soft voice, "I won't harm you." The little girl from the picture pulled back the clothes away from her face slowly. She had fear written across her small features which made me think how long has she been here.
"Hello" I said as Steve walked from behind me. I bent down to her height and stared at her with a small smile.
"H-hi" the little girl said clearly frightened by the two new people in front of her. I held out my hand to her and she stared at it awhile before placing her smaller hand in my medium sized one. I smiled softly at her.
"What's your name?" Steve asked walking over.
"L-L-Lucy" she stuttered.
"Well Lucy, my name is Jade and this is Steve. We're the good guys" I said.
"We're gonna help you" Steve informed her. Lucy stepped out of the closet.
"Where are the soldiers?" She asked as I picked her up and balanced her on my hip.
"They're gone" I said as Steve grabbed the documents that he had found. Lucy wrapped her small arms around my neck and buried her face into my shoulder.
"Let's go" Steve said as we left the room with Lucy in my arms.
"Cap, Jade, get out of there! The bomb is about to go off" Tony said into our ear pieces. I looked at Steve before the two of us started running. He let me and Lucy go first. He grabbed us both before the three of us jumped out the window just as the bomb exploded. Lucy was crying into my shoulder.
"It's okay. Everything is okay now" I said laying my head back and smiling at Steve who was now standing. His hand went to his ear piece.
"Tony? Nat? Clint? Hello? Anybody?" Steve asked, "nobody is answering."
"Let me try" I said trying to contact any other heroes, "Emma? Thor?" The only response was static, "nothing."
"They'll find us" Steve said as I set Lucy down before standing up. I held out my hand toward Lucy and she took my hand. I saw fresh tears streaming down Lucy's face.
"What's wrong?" I asked moving a piece of her hair from her face. It looks like she hasn't taken a shower in years. She didn't answer me. She hugged my leg and buried her face into my side. Steve walked over and bent down to Lucy's height.
"Hey" Steve said and she looked at him, "you're okay now. Everything will be fine. You are safe now." Steve rubbed his finger against her soft pale cheek drying her tears. I smiled at Steve as he comforted Lucy. Lucy was soon in Steve's arms and he was holding her like a baby.
I guess I should say about what has happened after mine and Steve's date. Well it's only been two days. Johnny kind of has been avoiding us. The Fantastic Four were actually about to go back to the Baxter Building later this week. Johnny hasn't said a word to me yet. Emma has been screaming 'CAPTAIN RAVEN!' at random all the time. So Thea and Arianna continued to go to school. They told me that Peter and Flash miss me. I'll see them sometime.
Soon Natasha and Emma had found us. Emma stared at Lucy with a questioning look. I mouthed 'I'll explain later' to her earning a nod in understanding. Steve carried Lucy toward the quinnjet with me beside him. Lucy didn't want us to leave her side so we both sat beside her in the jet. She had gotten tiered and laid her head in my lap. She had her small feet in Steve's lap. I rubbed her arm softly as she continued to sleep. I didn't want to get too attached to Lucy. I leaned my head on Steve's shoulder earning a glare from Johnny who stood next to Tony. Johnny clearly wasn't happy. Lucy stirred in her sleep which made me and Steve check if she was okay.
It made me furious just thinking about what Hydra did to her. I bet it made Steve feel the same way. Lucy snuggled closer to me and Steve before she continued to sleep. It was actually kind of adorable. She reminded me of Alison but Lucy was much younger than Alison. I really didn't want to get attached to Lucy like I got attached to Alison. I didn't want to bring Lucy into our mess. Poor kid has been through trouble before.
When we got back to the tower, I carried Lucy inside. She refused to leave either mine or Steve's side. When got inside and I showed Lucy to my bedroom. I guess she could sleep in there. When I opened the door, Winter came running and started to lick Lucy's face. I couldn't help but smile as Lucy seemed scared by Winter.
"He won't hurt you" I explained before there was a knock my door. I opened the door and Johnny stood there.
"Hey stranger" he said with a smile.
"Johnny" I said allowing him into my room. Lucy was busy playing with Winter to give Johnny any attention.
"Can we talk?" He asked.
"I don't know. Are you gonna get me a bear from a gift shop?" I asked sarcastically before getting some stuff ready for a bath for Lucy.
"I'm sorry. I'm not the best gift giver. I'm not as good as Mr Patriotic!" He said.
"It's Mr Liberty" I corrected.
"Whatever!" He said.
"Johnny why don't you just go find another girl. I'm sure all the girls would want you" I said patting his shoulder, "be a man."
"All the girls?" He asked.
"Not me" I pointed out before he did something he'd regret.
"I like girls who play hard to get" he said with a smirk.
"She likes Steve" Lucy said as I looked down to see her standing in front of me with a smile plastered on her face.
"You'll find someone, Johnny" I said.
"I already found her but she's taken" Johnny explained.
"Johnny" I said in a warning tone.
"Jade" he said mocking me. I raised my eyebrows at him before covering Lucy's ears and saying a few choice words to Mr Flame Brain. Sometimes I think I miss Johnny's hugs and cuddles. Johnny stomped out of the room like a child making Lucy giggle.
After I helped Lucy with her bath and getting her hair all washed up and nice, we decided it was time for questioning. She still refused to leave me or Steve so we both told her that we'd ask the questions. Me and Steve sat in front of Lucy who was hugging the teddy bear that she had with her. It looked like the eye was about to pop out.
"Alright kid-"
"I have a name" Lucy reminded Steve making me smile.
"Lucy, what did Hydra do to you?" I asked. She bit her lip and stayed silent not wanting to answer the question. I saw Steve get an idea and he stood up and walked over to Lucy. I raised my eyebrow as I watched Steve bend down to her height.
"Can I see the bear?" He asked. Was he really going to hurt a stuffed bear?! Lucy nodded and slowly handed him the bear, "what's his name?"
"Caramel" Lucy said as Steve took a big breath. I watched in curiosity as Steve began to make the bear come to life.
"Hi Lucy! I'm Caramel! Can you do me a favor?" Steve asked in the best bear voice he could muster. Lucy nodded her head and smiled at the stuffed bear, "can you tell Jade and Steve what Hydra did to you?"
"I-I can't remember much. A-all I remember is a bunch of needles" she said making my jaw clench. They did exactly what they did to me to Lucy, "and a s-small space."
"Do you remember anything before Hydra?" Steve asked.
"Only my name and age" she said.
"How old are you?" Steve asked moving the bears arms and legs.
"I'm 7" she answered. She reminded me so much of Alison. Tears formed in my eyes as I pictured Alison in Lucy's place. I took a big breath before blinking away the tears that threatened to spill. Lucy couldn't answer anymore questions due to the tears that were rolling down her pale cheeks. Steve wiped them away with the bear's soft paw. My heart melted a little bit.
After we were done questioning, we gave Lucy some food and then I let Lucy sleep in my bedroom with Winter to keep her company. Emma walked over to me. "You owe me an explanation" she said smiling.
"Me and Steve found her in an abandon room in the base. Poor kid" I said.
"She reminds me of you" she said.
"What are you talking about?" I asked.
"You were once like that. Small and adorable. You stuttered when you were scared or nervous like Lucy does sometimes. You and Lucy have so much in common. Stark is thinking about sending her to Fury but I think she should stay here with you and Steve since she refuses to leave your side" Emma said as we sat down on the couch.
"That's because she doesn't know who to trust" I said as I heard the elevator open and Steve walked in. I smiled at him as he walked into the little kitchen area and took a water bottle from the fridge.
"Dear Avengers! I have something Mr Liberty wants" I heard Adam's voice cut through the speakers, "your precious Bucky. All I want in return is Loki. If I don't get what I want in a 18 hours... Bucky dies. And then let's just say I have another person here who is a lovely friend of Jade's. What was his name again? Oh that's right... Peter Parker." I clenched my fist in anger and saw Steve's face turn from shock to anger as well. Adam is becoming a real pain in my butt.

I hope you guys liked this chapter! I wanted to do something cute so yay! I am really hating Adam right now. Comment what you think will happen in the next chapter!~ Kenlee Faith❤️❤️