part 6

The rest of the day was a daze. I wasn't awake half of the time, mostly dreaming. My mind could see his soft, sweet face. His eyes blinded my eyes while they were closed. I was a love sick puppy. Nothing could make me feel any different than the feeling that wanted to jump right out of my chest. 

When I got home, my phone rang. Loud and clear. It was Rob's personalized ringtone he had set for me. It was the song "Two is Better than One". I gulped and held my breath. My hand, shaking, slowly reached for the phone. I grabbed it and hesitated but pushed the button and said hello.

"I'm coming up to see you this weekend." was the first thing he said. It sounded so bland but demanding. 

"Any reason you sound like that?" I took my chance with my tone of voice.

"You haven't answered my texts all day and you haven't called me all week. What is going on Sky!"

I paused and opened my mouth to speak... But what could I say? If I said anything wrong something really bad was going to happen. I couldn't imagine what he would do. 

"When are you coming?"

"Saturday. I'll come over sometime in the afternoon and stay late. Tell Dana to go out too. Let her have a night out to herself. I will text you. You will answer. Love you." Click.

My stomach felt like it was going to come right up and out of my mouth. I could feel it coming and ran to the bathroom. I threw up 3 times in the toilet upstairs. My body felt like it was weakening and dying from the inside out. What would Rob do? Every inch of me was scared. Every bone, every hair on my head. 

I sat on the bathroom floor and rested my face in my hands and sobbed. It was a cry for help that no one in the world could hear. Just once, I'd like someone to answer me back and say: "It's going to be okay Sky, you're going to be fine!" Then they'd promise me. So I'd know it was real. But life wasn't that easy anymore. Life was never that easy. My cries would be unheard for the rest of my life. That is, if I keep living it like this.

The rest of the night, I tried to stay calm while texting Rob back. I forced every ounce of power in my hands not to text Teddy back. He was awaiting a reply that he deserved, but my thoughts were interupted by another text from Rob each time I look at Teddy's number. It was like he could see everything I was doing and was just waiting to pounce. Waiting to kill the prey. 

Dana got home late that night. My mascara was running down my face and junk food was trailed all over the house. She took one look at me, sighed, then looked strait at me.

"Who?"

I shook my head. There was nothing I could tell her. If I did, she would meddle in the business and make Rob even more upset. She always needed to fix everything herself. I couldn't let her do that.

"I just don't feel very good. I puked in the toilet right after school." I said, sniffling my nose to make me seem innocent and helplsess. She walked across the room and put her hand on my head, pulling me closer to her. She pulled me into a warm hug. I took a deep breath and let it out. It was almost as good as actually letting the whole story out. But those secrets would have to be kept in the bottle. 

Then came Friday, my last day to live. I avoided eye contact with everyone I could possiblly see in the halls, for fear that it was Teddy. I saw Rachel immediately and pulled her aside. I told her I couldn't see Teddy, she didn't ask why. That was why I loved her so much. She just understands without even knowing.

We walked through the hallways with a space no bigger than a millimeter seperating us. I didn't see Teddy until first hour actually started. He saw me and smiled. Then he started heading towards me. Rachel saw my panic, so she stood up and walked right in front of Teddy.

"Hey Ted, do you have those notes from last class I could look at? I really need them right now! You know, big test coming up! No one else has good enough notes." she tried to look him in the eyes but I could feel his eyes stuck on me like glue. I tried to look at my "unfinished" homework. Then, saved by the bell. Everyone sat down as Mr. Mary walked in.

Teddy looked at me with a confused look and slowly sat down. I wanted to explain everything that was going on, but what would he say? I had cheated on my boyfriend with him. I kissed him. I let him kiss me. Telling him would only make things uneven between. 

When the class was over, everyone rushed out of the room except Teddy. I tried to cut him off and skip to the door but he stopped me. 

"Sky..." he looked down at me. Looked down at the short, brunette with big soppy, blue eyes. Mostly because I wanted to cry. He saw it and brushed his hand through my hair. "what's wrong?"

"I-I-I-...." I was lost for words. What could I say? Was this the right moment to say it?

"You can tell me later if you want to. We have to get to our next class in less than 2 minutes! I'll meet you at lunch. Okay?" He leaned down to kiss my cheek then squeezed my hand before he walked off. I heard a voice in my head at that moment. That voice said something along the lines of; "You're never going to see him again" or "Did you enjoy your goodbye kiss?" 

I skipped lunch and sat in the bathroom. The biggest stall had a bench in it, so I sat on the bench and stared at the wall for the whole hour. It was the perfect time to think. Or just breathe. Neither helped with the decision I had to make. The day was going by too fast, which was what I had feared. Tomorrow would soon be here and I would be stuck. Do I tell Teddy its over? Or tell Rob I want to die? Each one sounded the same. Whatever I chose would kill me anyway.