Chapter Twenty-One

Mr Wilson focused on the road as he sensed the tension between Sadie and Drew. He recalled how Sadie was not so thrilled the previous evening when he had informed her that Mrs Collins - Drew's mother - could not drive her son to school anymore. Mr Wilson was happy to help out an old friend at any time, despite his tight schedule and he immediately offered to pick Drew up every morning for school.

Smiling to himself, he assumed that the couple had just had their first fight or that they were uncomfortable with his presence. Although it had been decades since he had dated, he remembered that it used to feel awkward being in a car or even in a room with his girlfriend's parents or vice versa. Then he recalled that his only real relationship in his life was with Sadie's mother.

In an instant, Mr Wilson felt a slight pain in his chest, as if someone had just punched him. Tears filled his eyes as he did his best to shift his thoughts to the present. Lydia Wilson was in the past now.

Mr Wilson suddenly chuckled, shook off his memories, and decided to start a conversation with them, "So, um, Drew I hope you wouldn't mind if I took Sadie out on a father-daughter date tomorrow since it's Valentine's Day?"

Sadie took a peek at Drew from the rear-view mirror as she saw his puzzled glance. Their eyes met and Drew understood that he needed to help his best friend. Little did they know that this was only a test question asked by Mr Wilson, who was dying to find out what had happened between the so-called couple.

"Actually, I do mind, Mr Wilson," Mr Wilson raised his glance towards the mirror to get a good view of Drew, who sat at the back, and tried to hide his smirk as he studied Drew's alarmed features. Drew continued to explain himself as he looked out of the window to keep himself busy. "I have planned a romantic evening for Sadie, if you do not mind, sir."

Mr Wilson indicated to the drivers behind them that he was about to stop in a couple of meters. They were a block away from Yorkwood High but he knew all too well that Sadie would never approve of being dropped off right in front of the school. He always assumed that it was because she was not proud of his job, being the mayor of town. He had no idea of the struggles she went through every single day all because her father was a political figure.

As Mr Wilson found a spot and parked the car, Drew was dying to run out and make his way to school. But that would have been rude, of course. He noticed a warm smile appearing on Mr Wilson's face and heard him say, "Go ahead," Drew did not know what he meant, so Mr Wilson further explained, "Take her out tomorrow, Drew." And he kissed Sadie's cheek and reminded her to take care.

"So, um, your dad has no idea that we have ended everything, right?" hesitated Drew as they were meters away from Mr Wilson's car. He was keeping his distance from Sadie and kept his hands to himself. Although he was still angry at Sadie for loving someone else, he would not have done anything to get her in trouble with her father or with the school authorities.

Sadie was uncomfortable with the question, knowing that Drew deserved the whole truth, and decided to be honest with him, "No, Drew."

They walked in silence towards the school. Sadie wondered whether Drew would ever forgive her. Drew wondered whether she would still want him in her life as a friend. "I understand," he finally murmured. His eyes filled with tears but he looked away to hide his sad expression.

Sadie smiled and sighed, as if she were relieved. Her muscles relaxed and she released the strong grip on her messenger bag as her knuckles were starting to hurt. She glanced at Drew and slowed her pace until she stopped walking. "Drew," she said.

Drew was ahead of her pace but stopped walking as soon as he heard her call his name. He turned to see what had kept Sadie and saw her priceless smile plastered on her fair face. She blushed and walked towards him, ignoring that they were close to their school now and that people would start gossiping. Drew felt Sadie embrace him and listened to her thanking him several times. He wanted to say something but could not find the words. He wanted to conceal the abnormal number of times which his heart was beating. He was worried that the people around him, including Sadie, were able to hear it.