Chapter One

Sadie (read Say-dee) sighed as her father dropped her off at school. After pecking his cheek, she grabbed her stuff and hurried to the door to avoid everyone from staring at her, or comment about her family's status in Yorkwood. Being the daughter of the town mayor was not easy at all. People tended to think that she had a say in her father's job, and would even ask her for favours, such as to avoid paying taxes or speeding tickets. Others clearly envied her and made her life miserable.

    As it was still quite early for her lecture to start, Sadie ran to the bathroom to fix herself. She locked herself in an empty cubicle, sat down on the closed toilet seat, and looked at herself in her compact mirror. Although it was her first day as a junior in Yorkwood High, she was expecting loads of hate from her classmates, both male and female. Sometimes, even the teachers were mean to her because of her father's political views; but she would never tell him about this.

    Taking out her brand new Essence black eyeliner, Sadie drew around her top and bottom lash lines to make them look fuller. She finished her eye make-up by using a gel mascara to make her eyelashes more visible. Looking at herself mirror, Sadie was not satisfied with her look yet, so she filled her blonde eyebrows with a pencil, and brushed away any excess powder. Her natural look was then complete after using a clear lip gloss, which made her lips look bigger and fuller. 'That's more like it,' she thought.

    For once, her blonde curls were perfect as she had washed her hair early that morning and used a diffuser to define and give volume to her hair. Sadie wished she would Keratin straighten her hair so that she would not have to worry about frizziness, but her father disagreed with this; her blonde curls always reminded him of her mother.

    Sadie sighed at the thought of her mother, but she quickly shifted her thoughts to something more pleasant. After grinning at herself in the mirror to make sure her teeth were clean, Sadie walked out of the bathroom and went to look for her only friend, Drew. She had expected the school hallways to be packed with fellow students, but there was no one in sight. Sadie raised an eyebrow, for she was sure of hearing teacher's voices inside the closed classroom doors. Could it be that she was missing her first class?

After reaching for her book bag to grab her phone, she noticed several missed calls and a  number of text messages from Drew:

"Morning Princess, where shall we meet for our history lecture?"

"Princess? Are you even up yet?" Sadie snorted as she read this, for she had been up fixing her hair since six a.m; everyone wanted to look good on their first day at school, right?

Next text: "I'm waiting for you outside class 289. I hope you're alright!"

"Well, I'm going in now, as Mr Cooper is getting quite angry at me for waiting for you outside; I guess you couldn't make it this morning. Love you." Sadie raised an eyebrow as she read love you. Drew had never said something like this to her before, especially in person. Wait, who the heck was Mr Cooper? Wasn't Mr Austen supposed to be their history teacher?

    "DAMN!" she yelled out loud. She was missing her history lecture. Did applying make-up make girls so distracted? How could she have missed the bell? Running to the history class, Sadie knocked and opened the door quickly, finding a really attractive person sitting at the teacher's desk, and with the rest of the class just staring at her.

    "You must be Miss Wilson," sighed the young man at the desk. "You're disrupting my class."

    "Are you Mr Cooper?" Sadie asked out of breath, searching for her friend, Drew. Sadly, the only vacant desk was the one closest to the teacher's desk. Sadie grunted and walked to the desk to settle down.