Chapter Thirteen

Hey! Finally Chapter thirteen is up. Sorry for taking forever to upload this but I've had a writer's block. I hope you enjoy this chapter and as much as I did while writing it. Take care xxx don't forget to comment and vote. Thanks!

"Derek lay at the bottom of the military bed at one of the Nazi headquarters. He wondered whether his comrades had ever seen him sneaking out to meet Ania or if anyone had ever noticed him going through the records of the concentration camps. Why was his love life so complicated? Why couldn't he just fall in love with a girl who favoured the Nazi Party; a girl who supported anything he did?

As he tossed and turned on the uncomfortable straw mattress, he recalled that there was a young woman back at his hometown who was willing to do anything to be with him. Derek did not love her, though.

This young woman had contacted him several times at Ravensbrück, but Derek had burned her letters every single time. What if Ania found out that there was someone who was head over heels for him? Unable to show him any affections publicly any time soon, Ania would surely be upset at this sort of news.

Giving up on getting some rest, Derek sighed and quietly left the headquarters to get some fresh air. The cold January breeze caused him to shiver and wishing that he had brought his coat, however he did not return to the cabin. Derek walked along the camps to calm his nerves down. He wondered how on earth he and Ania were ever going to escape with such security all around the outskirts.

Suddenly, he stopped walking after hearing communication: male voices. No, no one was actually talking: they were yelling and giving orders. And was that sobbing he was hearing? Curious, Derek followed the loud voices and managed to hide behind a tree without getting noticed. However, he knew that this scene was one which he was never going to forget: there were several women - young and older - lined up one after the other who were doing their best to hide their naked bodies.

But, due to malnourishment and excessive work, they had lost so much weight that there was nothing really left to cover. The SS guards harassed these poor souls with their eyes, full of lust and evil. Derek hoped that no one would really have to suffer more than they already had and prayed that they would be sent directly to the gas chambers without further physical molestation.

As the guard ordered the women to move to the 'shower chamber', Derek closed his eyes and swallowed the bile which had formed in his throat. These innocent people were going to die. And, the following morning, new inmates would arrive and wear their same work outfits."

Sadie wiped a tear which had escaped from her eyes as soon as she finished writing this part and slammed her laptop lid shut. History was an amazing subject but, at the same time, so cruel. Deep down, Sadie was angry that so many people had to suffer because of other people's decisions.

And no, this anger was not solely aimed at the inmates at concentration camps around Central Europe during World War Two. She was also thinking about Mr Cooper. It crushed her heart every time she remembered what had happened between the two of them. She had to end it before it even started. But it was for the best. She had only been thinking of herself before - things were different now. What about Mr Cooper - his family if he had any? What about her dad and Emma?

Lying on her bed and closing her eyes, Sadie recalled the events of that day.

8:00am

Sadie entered the school's main door and hurried off to the girls' bathroom as she had forgotten to apply mascara that morning. A look is always incomplete without mascara. Silly girl, she snorted to herself as she opened her mouth while looking at the mirror and keeping her mascara wand out of her eyes. She always wore mascara!