Part 35: Keeping Promises

The show finally ends and all I want to do is run back to NYC and lay in my bed forever. I definitely don't want to go to any after parties but Amy begs me to go since it will 'be so much fun.' I never saw Harry after our little run in so thankfully I never had to have any 'talk' with him. However Amy did inform me that our run in was caught on camera and has the internet freaking out because they saw everything from me trying to walk in the opposite direction when I saw him to him grabbing my arm, thankfully it's an overhead camera and so no one can hear/read what we said. We go to the after party and everyone seems to be having a lot of fun but I'm not so, after about 30 minutes, I tell everyone I'm going to leave even though they protest for a bit as I quickly slip out the back entrance. When I get outside there is absolutely no one around, it's an empty parking lot with a couple of cars waiting out there with drivers who were ready to take everyone back to their hotels or whatever. I make my way towards them when I hear someone call my name and I casually turn around to see Harry running towards me.

"Ariana! Ariana wait!" he says as he jogs towards me. He stops a few feet in front of me again as I begin to internally freak out, I was so close to getting away from him!

"Harry! What are you doing out here?" I ask genuinely confused as to how he realized I was leaving.

"I was looking around for you inside when I heard that you were leaving so I ran out here hoping to catch you before you did, we never got a chance to talk and I know you're avoiding me" he admits as I stare down at the ground. I want to argue back that I'm not avoiding him but I'm sure he's seen the video by now of me trying to walk in the opposite direction once I saw him. "Can you please talk to me?" he asks and I sigh before nodding my head since there's clearly no real way for me to get out of this. "Why did you leave me?" he asks and I feel my heart ache as I look up at him, he doesn't deserve this. "Please tell me, I deserve to know" he says and he looks visibly hurt by everything I've done. "What did I do" he asks and I begin to quickly shake my head.

"No Harry, this isn't because of you I promise! I just can't handle this anymore" I say vaguely.

"What do you mean? Do you mean my lifestyle? Ari please tell me it's not because of my career, please, because I can't change that and you know it! I'm so sorry if I was making you constantly pack up and move to a completely different place to stay with me because I really didn't mean to make your life miserable" he says and I shake my head again.

"It's not that Harry" I say and I can tell he's confused since he's definitely been pinning our break up as all his fault and has no idea why else I would break up with him.

"Then what's wrong? Please tell me why you broke up with me!" he says again.

"Because Harry, I just don't think we're meant to be together, I mean let's face it, we were never going to end up with each other... It was only a matter of time before you left me for someone better, someone deserving of you, I just wanted to quit wasting both of our time" I admit and I feel Harry place his hands on my upper arms.

"What are you talking about Ari?! I would never leave you for someone else, stop acting like you don't deserve happiness" he says sternly and I shake my head once again.

"Fine, I'll stop, I deserve happiness, I know, everyone does. But so do you, and I will never be able to give you that. Maybe you think I am now but I'm not. What do I give? I'm just a socially awkward nerd who doesn't even want kids! We are completely different people Harry and sooner or later you'll realize that and leave me for some pretty white girl and I can't handle that" I yell back at him.

"Ari everything you just said is why I want you! I don't care if you're 'socially awkward!' That's what makes you, you. Why is it so weird for me to want you?" he rebuttals.

"Because Harry! Look at me!" I say and he just gives me a weird look.

"Ari you're beautiful, stop it" he says and I shake my head.

"No Harry seriously! Look at me and now think about all the girls you were surrounded by literally just minutes ago back there, and during the award show, and when you're out in public or at a party or whatever. I'm not like them! I'm not super skinny or pretty, I don't have beautiful blonde platinum hair and that is the type of girl you deserve. We don't make sense, we don't even look like we'd make sense, I can't do this!" I exclaim.

"But you're wrong! Ariana you are so beautiful! Who cares if you don't look like all those other girls! There's a reason I want you and not them. I don't want them Ari, I want you! You're perfect and I love you! I still love you!" he yells back and I feel myself begin to cry.

"But I'm not worth it!" I argue as a tear leaves my eye and drops down my face.

"Yes you are!" Harry exclaims as he wipes the tear from my eye. "Ariana, please stop telling yourself that you're not worth it because you are! I honestly think you're worth it! And you know what, fine you're right, I guess I could have some stupid model or whatever but I don't want that! You are so absolutely beautiful, and not only that, you're funny, and nice, and the only person I want to be with! Please give me another chance to prove that to you! Ariana please! I know you think that you you're doing me a favour by letting me go but you're not! I love you and I need you, I'm lost without you, I don't want anyone else, I want you" he pleads and I feel my heart beat fast as I wrap my arms around him and hug him as tightly as I can and he does the same.

"Thank you Harry!" I whisper into his ear as we hug before we loosen our grip on each other for a second so that we can now face each other. Harry wastes no time filling in the gap between us by kissing me passionately on the lips. I've missed him so much, I never want to ever let go of him. I break the kiss after what feels like an eternity, even though as soon as I do, I just want to kiss him once again. "Promise me you won't leave me" I say and he smiles.

"I promise!" he says before kissing me once again. The music from inside the party continues to blast through the walls and only now does it actually become apparent to me. Harry breaks away from me as he begins to make us slow dance to the music right here in the middle of the empty parking lot which makes me laugh and smile as big as I possibly can. We continue to dance and just goof around for a few more minutes before Harry and I decide we should go. I'm so exhausted after today and I am so relieved he didn't ask me to go back into the party. We get into one of the dark SUV's and make our way back to my hotel room. Once we get there Harry wastes no time pushing me up against the wall and giving me another kiss. He soon picks me up and takes us to the bedroom where he lays me down as he begins getting undressed while hovering on top of me before taking off my little pink dress.