Hide and Seek

My hackles raise and I growl. Where is he!? A lone wolf had wandered into my den and took a rabbit. I caught his scent and he would not escape. Sniffing the ground, I can picture him running. The soft padding of paws and the squishing sound of moss was all that could be heard. I was on the hunt and all the animals could sense it. A few birds gave warning calls but the wolf I was hunting was a rookie, probably bitten. The scent trail continued on until I saw him. Ears twitching lazily as he scarfed down my rabbit. As silently as I could, I crept around him and slid into a crouch, my muscles taunt and ready to leap. It was early into the dawn, and the green grass around me was covered in dew, soaking my belly fur as I army crawled. The wolf was huge with grey fur and blue eyes. Definitely a were. I sprang, gracefully landing on top of the now snarling wolf and grabbed him by the scruff. He rolled and bucked. His fur was being ripped out by my teeth and my claws raked down his back. He managed to throw me off but I sprang back up and snarled. We both bared our sharp teeth at each other and walked in a wide circle, neither willing to attack first. I finally broke the circle and leapt, but he dogged my attack and grabbed my scruff, Slinging me to the ground. I jumped up and charged, throwing all my weight onto him as we tumbled to the ground. A mass of white and grey fur, teeth clashing, claws slashing, I was getting in some good hits, But so was he. I was dizzy from the blood loss, but weres healed quickly and he was bleeding too. We broke apart, still growling, I wasn't done. He raced for me clamping my muzzle down in his jaws and breaking the skin. I thrash around, trying to break his hold. He holds strong not moving an inch. I still have a chance though. If he is from a pack he'll play by the rules and release me when I drop my head and crouch, making him believe that I recognize him as more dominant than I am. I drop my head and crouch as low as I can, ears flat, tail between my legs. He releases me, full of confidence. Who ever but him taught him the basics. He's So sure that I'm going to tuck my tail and run like a pack wolf would. But I'm not a pack wolf, I'm a rouge. When he lifts his head, standing over me with a smug look, I jump up and sink my teeth into his throat.
I don't want to. But I have to. Because rouges are killed by packs and their wolves, and if I have to kill them to live, I will. Because I made a promise to Cassy. And I won't break it. After a few minutes I let his limp body drop to the ground. His once sleek grey fur matted with dark blood. Just an hour ago he was happily eating a rabbit, planning out his day, ready to get back to his pack. To live, And now he's dead. He died so I could live. I'm not worth his life. I'm not worth anything. The sight of my dead sister flashes before my eyes and I run to the bushes to dispose of my breakfast.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once my breakfast was out of my system, I head towards the pool one last time to clean out my mouth and to rinse the blood from my fur. I won't be coming back. His pack will come looking for him. And if I was anywhere in the area when they found his body... I shudder. Once again, I start running. Weaving in and out of trees, crushing the grass underneath my paws. My heart pounds out a steady rhythm. Boom, boom... Boom, boom. I love the feel of my claws digging into the dirt as I run. My ears pinned to the back of my head and my tongue lolling out of my mouth. For a moment I forget why I'm running. I just enjoy it. The forest is alive with sound and it's almost overwhelming. When I finally find a place to sleep for the night, I curl up and dream of my home, my sister, and I feel like me again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~