I watch as Peeta takes his last breath, the last breath I will ever see him take. The mutts are next, then my victory. I watch myself fall to the ground, remembering exactly how I had felt at that moment.

   The lights came on, the crowd cheered, and out came a girl holding a glamorous crown a plush velvet pillow. I remember when Peeta's father came in right after I became a tribute, when I rubbed my hand up and down the material on the couch repetitively. He had brought me cookies. I smiled at the memory.

   I sat up straighter as another girl, a younger one, walks out onto the stage and picks up the crown from the pillow. She places it on top of my head and whispers, "You've done well."

   I turn to smile at her. She can't be much older than eleven or twelve, and I suddenly remember that I'll get to see my family again soon. The girl smiles back to me and turns to walk off the stage with the older girl.

   I reach my hand up and touch the crown that sits on top of my head. I catch myself in the big screen in the back of the room, and the crown is much too lavish for my plain face. I continue to stare at it until Ceasar Flickerman nudges me and I stand up. He gives me a quick hug and jokes a bit more to the audience before he waves a quick good-bye to them and signs off the newscast.

   I head offstage just as the anthem begins to blast.

>>------>X<------<<

   I can't run off of the train fast enough. I fly over to Prim and throw my arms around her neck. We both start crying, and I whisper in her ear: "I did it for you. I did it all for you. I love you, Prim," over and over and over again.

   I then toss myself at my mother. She didn't give up on Prim, I know she didn't. She couldn't have. I feel it in the way she held me and the way that I instantly hold her back in a way that I had never done before.

   Cameras are everywhere, their handlers perched all over the place like vultures. That doesn't matter to me now though. The only thing that does was getting to see them all. I go to Gale next. Instead of simply hugging him, I stand out in front of him first.

   "Mr. Hawthorne," I say as I straighten my back, clasp my hands together behind my back, and push out my chin.

   "Ms. Everdeen," he copies my movements.

   I place my hand out in front of him stiffly and I try to stop myself from laughing out at how serious he is. He holds out his hand and we both shake.

   "Glad to see you again, sir."

   "Good to have you back, miss."

   The corners of both of our mouths slowly curl up as he opens his arms to me. I fall into him, feeling his body against mine like this for only the second time.

   I pull away and head for his mother. I hug her tightly and squeeze her shoulders. All of Gale's siblings come up to me and I hug them all at once. All I want to do is stay with all of them, talking to them forever, but all I want to do is get as far away from the cameras as possible. I'd have to see them in six months' time for the Victory Tour, but that doesn't matter right now.

   I quickly usher all of them out of the station, not looking back for the cameras. We finally get out of sight of it all, now we're only walking on a path back to the center of District 12. I smile and walk hand-in-hand with Prim on one side and Gale on the other. I can't help but feel happier than I have in months.

   We make small talk on the way back to the Seam before I realize that I don't live there anymore. I decide to pretend like I forgot, and instantly head for Gale's little house.

   We start talking faster and faster and more openly as we get farther into the Seam. I suddenly stop and let go of both Prim's and Gale's hands at once. Everyone stops and turns to look at me.

   "I didn't say good-bye," I whispered hurridly. "I didn't say goodbye to Cinna, or Haymitch, or Effie,  or. Or . . ."

   I don't need to finish the sentence. Prim simply takes a step back to be in line with me again and holds my hand. She walks me forward, whispering to me softly about Lady and Buttercup and how much he misses his entrails. I let out a soft airily laugh that only she can get out of me.

   I calm down, but there's a more awkard aura about Gale. I turn to look at him, but he's no longer trying to catch my eye. Now, he only stares ahead, his entire face a blank mask.

   I can tell something is bothering him, though. His eyes always give him away, maybe not to people on the street, but the boy is truly hopeless when it comes to hiding his true emotions from me.

   I make a mental note of it and continue walking forward, looking forward to a night where Prim is in my arms once again and I can hold her close, knowing I can protect her.