Twenty-Four -

Nathan's POV -

I pulled up outside Tom's flat and, the first thing you could see was the two police cars which were sat outside, watching his every move and making sure he didn't step out of line; like they were a friendly reminder of what he had done and everything that had happened.

I sat there for a moment, looking at the envelopes and I decided that now would be a good time to read what Rachel had to say to me, it might help me explain to Tom the damage he had caused and the pain he had made her feel by leaving her the way that he did.

Even if he didn't need her, she needed him because he was the one that kept her going and he was the one that gave her purpose in life; without him, her life was meaningless.

I slowly slid my finger under the flap, nervous about what I was going to discover. This has to have been one of the last things that she did before whatever happened, happened. As I pulled the paper out of the envelope, it had been neatly folded in half and slipped into the safety of the envelope. I took a deep breath in as I unfolded the piece of paper and began reading the letter which had been written so neatly by Rachel.

To Nath,

Where shall I start?

You've been there for me more times than I can count on one hand, in fact, you've been there for more than people who claimed they were my best friend way before I met you. It hasn't been a year and I trust you so much more than I trust other people.

I don't know what I would do without you if I'm being totally honest.

You were my rock when no one else cared, you brought me up when I was down and you made me feel like I was worth something. I will never be able to thank you for that, and I will never be able to thank you for actually getting Tom back in my life; even when everyone else told me was stupid for wanting him back.

But, I also need you to know that, no matter what happens, I really do appreciate everything you've done for me. I don't want you to hate me for the decision that I made, but I don't see the point in living anymore because, if Tom isn't in my life, then I don't have a life.

I'm sorry.

I hope you can find it in you to forgive me for this. Thanks for everything Nathan. I love you and you're one of the greatest people I've ever met.

Good bye.

Love Rachel xxx

She had done it on purpose.

Rather than talking to someone, she had decided that this was her only option. She decided that she would rather die than live her life without Tom in it.

This couldn't be happening.

She said that she trusted me, but she couldn't even tell me when she felt like there was no point to life anymore; she had felt that low that she allowed everyone else to win, she had written this letter to me before she tried to end everything.

I wish I had never opened the letter now, I was better off before I knew this is what happened. At least I still saw Rachel as a fighter and as someone who, although her life was falling apart, she was still going and proving people wrong.

I thought I knew my best friend, turns out I didn't really know her at all. I only knew what she showed me, and nothing else, all because I didn't bother to ask her and make her tell me the truth. I just accepted what people tell me way too easily, it wasn't even normal, I'm telling you.