Chapter 5, Part 1

Chapter 5, Part 1

Nathan’s POV

A few hours before

I was walking downstairs to see the boys and Kelsey and Nareesha already waiting for me. Whoops. Guess I was at a human’s pace yet again.

“About time you showed up! Let’s get on the road!” Tom yelled and laughed whilst everyone else simply rolled their eyes.

As much as I loved my family--our clan--sometimes I wondered if Jay had never found me the night I could’ve died. It was 1917, and I had just turned 20. Not long after, my whole family succumbed to the deadly influenza that was going around. From what I remember, I was the last to get hit by the sickness and by the time I was moved to the hospital, my parents and my sister, Jessica had already passed. I knew it wasn’t long before I would die.

I remember the last few, terrible hours before I was about to die. It was dark, and my vision was a little hazy, but I could never forget that mess of curls hanging over my bedside. At the time I didn’t even bother anymore who was in the room with me. I just wanted my life to end. I remember a male voice saying into my ear, “Don’t worry, I’ll make it go away,” and everything went black after that. I didn’t even feel anything.

When I woke up, I looked up to 5 men. At the time, Tom and Siva were still bachelors. They taught me everything, and I found out that I was biologically the youngest out of all of them, Tom being the oldest. I learned that Jay dragged me all the way to their rugged home in London. Apparently Jay had visited a friend in Gloucester who knew about him being a vampire. This friend he was visiting was dying of the same cause as me and refused immortality to join his wife. That’s when he noticed me, seeing I was still young.

At first I dreaded my new life, but after a half a hundred years or so, I learned to accept it. We never left the outskirts of London, and along the way Kelsey and Nareesha joined the picture around the 1940’s, but Nareesha joining later than Kelsey. Pretty soon we invested on a new and bigger house. To this day we live in the same, massive house that we had built back in the 40’s.

Today we were headed to Yorkshire to visit Samuel and his wife, Emma. I’ve only met them a few times through the lads, but never really got to know them on a deeper and more personal level. After the news of their new recruit years back, we had only made the time and great effort to visit them now. We all had well-paying jobs and Samuel and Emma understood our positions and our reasons for not stopping by sooner.

When we finally got to their secluded home, Samuel greeted us. I instantly got strange pulls towards something, or someone, from inside the house and I’m sure my face was frozen into a look of mixed emotions. I’m sure it didn’t look too inviting.

Once everyone was inside I realized I was the last one just outside the door and I walked in, still trying to figure out what I was feeling. That’s when I heard a girlish giggle and I looked up to see the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen. She was pale and her dark hair framed her face beautifully, her green eyes piercing. I immediately knew she was the one I was drawn to. I needed this girl in my life…I just knew.

Samuel introduced her to everyone, having meeting them for the first time. He introduced me last and I didn’t really know what came over me when I pulled her into a hug. It was like she belonged there, in my arms—with me. I came to my senses for a split second and realized that she’s the one; she’s my mate. I didn’t understand why she looked so frightened of me, and the next thing I knew she was running away from me. I was about to run after her until Max and Tom held me back. I had no words and I ended up growling violently and they told me to calm down.

That’s when Emma spoke up, telling them to let me go. I ran out of the house as soon as they let me go and the last thing I heard before I was too far from the house was, “She’s his mate,” and I couldn’t deny myself of Elsie anymore. I had to find her.

Edited December 27, 2013