Chapter Thirteen...

After I was pretty carelessly tossed into the back of a truck and driven to who knows where, the door opened.

I was placed in a small cage with other dogs all around me.

They were noisy and annoying. Constantly questioning the vest, the thin layer of gauze around my torso, and the muzzle they hadn't taken off.

I was practically dying of thirst over here.

A couple families were in here and watched as I was put into a cage too small for me.

They picked a couple puppies and the elder dogs just watched on. Knowing deep down, they would never get out of here.

After a few hours of not many people coming in and out, some leaving with puppies or young dogs, food was dispersed throughout the kennels.

I didn't get any though. I still had on the muzzle.

I laid against the metal wall my kennel and went over my evaluations of these kennels so far.

An older Golden Retriever barked, "You served as a canine in the military? My old human served too..." His old voice said from across from the walkway.

I nodded. "Where's your human?"

I shrugged my shoulders and watched as an elderly couple entered the room.

They looked at all the dogs including me, they smiled at me, they looked at the old retriever who was still watching me and left the room.

They came back with an employee and took the retriever with them. I was happy for that old dog, even if I didn't know his name.

The lights were turned off and I drifted off to sleep.