Chapter Four...

After they finished talking, I was limping alongside Bruce on the way to his home.

Bruce seemed, nervous in my opinion. He was constantly looking around it seemed.

I didn't know why, I couldn't smell any firearms or anything.

The people we did pass glanced at us funny. It took about fifteen minutes before we came to a small house.

He opened the door and rubbed behind my ear, "Okay rules. No getting on the furniture, interrupting my work, no barking, no attacking people, no eating anything I don't give you, and do NOT mess with any patients. They need rest," he informed me.

He let me off the leash, and went into the kitchen. "I'm talking to a dog..." I heard him mutter.

I trailed behind him and watched as he dug through the fridge and took out some leftovers.

He started to eat and glanced at me. I was sitting by his side looking around.

"Dali," I looked at him just in time to see a piece of what I think was chicken flying towards my face.

I caught it in my jaws and ate it.

He tried to hide a small smile, "Gut Dali, gud," (good Dali, good).

I wagged my tail a bit. When he finished he tossed me the leftovers.

Someone knocked on the door, I growled.

Bruce answered it and I noticed it was dark outside. The second thing I noticed was a man being supported by two others.

Bruce let them in, he said, "Voraus," (go out) and pointed to the kitchen.

I walked in the kitchen and laid down under the table. I wasn't happy about the unfamiliar strangers.

They reeked of illness and hunger. They were dirty too.

I listened to Bruce talk about symptoms and different medications.

I listened and moved towards the kitchen door. I might as well learn something useful while I'm here.

I watched as he kept muttering the uses of each medication and herb he had.

The other men couldn't hear him but I could. I went over everything in my head until I'd memorized it. If I'm going to live here I might as well be useful.

After an about forty-five minutes, the men thanked him and dragged the other outside.

I went back under the table and watched Bruce wipe a hand down face.

He glanced at me and left the room to where I guessed was his bedroom and closed the door.

I watched him go and have a small whimper.

He didn't hear me though.

I curled up and went to sleep thinking of Calvin.