Selina's Date

Selina crossed her legs neatly and folded her hands onto her lap.  "We agreed that it would be an all-day date so he picked me up at my penthouse at eight this morning."

"That's early," Dinah groaned.

"Yes," Selina agreed.  "Especially because I had only gone to bed at four that morning after lifting a diamond bracelet."

Helena, Dinah, and Diana pursed their lips at the mention of Selina's habits but Barbara merely asked, "So where did you go?"

"We went to the Met," Selina told them, a pleased smile floating onto her pretty features.  "We stayed for hours.  It was wonderful.  I absolutely adore him- I mean, it," she corrected hastily, flushing.  "I absolutely adore the Met."

Jade and Artemis exchanged delighted expressions and Barbara bit her tongue to stop herself from making a sickeningly happy comment.  "Well," Jade drawled.  "That certainly sounds familiar.  Doesn't it, Artemis?"

"Sure does," she grinned back, smoky gray eyes glittering with humor and happiness.

 "Do I smell orange blossoms," Helena asked jokingly, adding, "Selina, do you want me to hire a wedding planner?"

Diana chuckled quietly, happy for both of her close friends.  "You certainly sound...besotted," she smiled.

"Smitten," Barbara chimed in.

"Head-over-heels in love," Dinah sang joyfully.

"Enamoured with," Jade called out.

"Enchanted wi-"  Artemis began to say when she was cut off by Selina's snarling.

They settled down, hiding grins and swallowing laughter at the pink blush on Selina's face.  "I haven't even finished telling you about the rest of my date," she insisted, pouting.

"Fine, tell us," Helena laughed.

"After we left the Met, we went to get lunch at this gorgeous cafe," she recalled, the memory bringing a smile to her face. 

"What did you eat," Dinah inquired curiously.

"Dinah, who cares," Jade asked, arching an inquisitive brow in surprise.

"I do," Dinah retorted.  "I'm hungry."

"We had red wine, pasta, and chicken alfredo," Selina told her, a wry smile playing around the edge of her lips.

"Lord, that sounds so good," Helena sighed.

"That's because you're Italian," Barbara reminded her.  "I could personally go for some Chinese."

"Nothing but American trash for me," Artemis grinned wistfully.  "Steak, fries, cheeseburgers, milkshakes..."

"I just gained ten pounds listening to you say that," Dinah groaned playfully.

"Right, because running around rooftops and performing acrobatics and martial arts for hours on end every day doesn't burn off any calories," Jade snorted.

"Anyway," Selina stressed.  "We went to see a movie and then we dropped into Tiffany's and Cartiers."

Dinah let out a squeal that nearly deafened Barbara, who was closest to her.  "Ow, Dinah," Barbara complained, clutching her ear.  "If I didn't know any better, I would say that a pig had just been slaughtered in my left eardrum."

"But you do," Jade reminded her.  "Although that was an extraordinarily loud squeal, Dinah."

Dinah ignored them both.  "He took you to Tiffany's," she gasped.  "What did he buy you?"

Selina reached around her neck and unclasped a beautiful thin gold chain from which dangled a black diamond cat with winking emeralds for eyes and a gold collar.

 "It's so beautiful," Diana breathed. 

 "Oh my God," Artemis whispered, eyes widening drastically.  "That must have cost a fortune."

Barbara's mouth fell open when she caught sight of the necklace.  "That might just be the best present that Bruce has ever given anyone," she murmured.

Diana smiled widely at the necklace.  "Bruce must be so gone on you," she said softly.

Helena merely pressed her hands to her mouth, shocked pleasure for her friend written all over her face.  "Selina, it's beautiful.  Absolutely beautiful."

Even Jade couldn't help but sigh a little over the necklace.  "They're gorgeous," she admitted happily.  "I'm so happy for you, Selina."

Surprised by how emotional the atmosphere had suddenly gotten, Selina blinkeda few times.  "Come on, it's not like I'm getting married or anything," she chided them.  "Let's not bust out the waterworks just yet."

Diana ducked her head, blinking away a few happy tears.  "Bruce never gets women jewelry, Selina," she told her.  "He's really in love with you."

Selina looked flabbergasted.  "Good grief, I-well-that's really..."

She trailed off, looking slightly lost.  "Come on, Selina," Barbara scolded gently.  "Tell me about the rest of your date before we all burst into tears."

"I was not going to cry," Jade defended stubbornly, swiping underneath her eyes with a deft fingertip to remove all hints of tell tale moisture.

"In any case, after the movie and shopping, we got dinner at this amazing Thai place then we went for drinks at a local cozy bar.  After, we went to the ballet and saw Gisele."

 Artemis tried very hard not to swoon while Dinah desperately attempted to remain a smartass in the face of so much romance.

 "Are you going out soon," Diana asked, none too subtly.

 "Tonight," Selina cooed happily.

 "You'll tell us how it goes," Jade instructed.  To hell with being cynical, she thought.  A romance like this doesn't happen everyday.

 And besides, she did want to support the woman she thought of as a sister.

"Of course I'll tell you," Selina laughed, happier than she had been in ages.  "Thanks for listening."

"My pleasure," Dinah said, surprised by how much she meant it.  "You know, i thought I wa sover all that romance and stuff."

"Turns out you're not," helena teased.

"Turns out I'm not," Dinah agreed.  "I think I'll tell Oliver to bring roses and wine tonight," she added as an afterthought.  "We earned ourselves a little romance too."

"Oh, I definitely don't want to hear that story," Artemis grinned.