Chapter One...

I stopped everything I was doing and pointed. With my nose of course, it's a bit difficult to point with paws.

Calvin, my handler put his hand up, signaling for the men behind us to stop.

Every one of them was poised to strike. Guns ready.

I heard Calvin mutter, "Voran," which meant search.

I slowly entered the ravine, being wary of the large rocks that could hide an enemy.

I scented the air and knew they were there. As I turned to run back, a loud, ear piercing sound rang through the air.

I was thrown on my side as a bullet went clean through my body. I gave a loud yelp and fell.

I heard my team open fire, so I stood back up.

I faced the enemies who were shielded by the rock. I ran towards one and leapt off landing directly on a man who came out to shoot.

I sank my teeth into his throat and violently jerked my head to and fro.

I jumped on another who had sought shelter behind the same rock. And did the same.

Covered in blood I continued to fight the enemy until I heard, "Calvin no!"

At the mention of my handler, I turned back to see him collapsed on the ground.

No... He can't be... I ran to him.

I got there and smelt blood coming from his head. He was on his face. Completely motionless.

I let the rest of the party finish off the enemy soldiers. I laid down and placed a paw on his back, laying my head on that paw.

Some people may say dogs can't cry, but I felt the tears running down my face.

I whimpered, not from the pain of the bullet, but from the pain of losing my handler.

My group ran to his side checking for a pulse. I knew they wouldn't find one.

He bowed his head and shook it. They kneeled, and after they gave a few minutes of silence for the loss of Calvin, they stood back up.

Two of them grabbed Calvin. One by the legs and the other by the arms. And they made their way back to camp.

Silently, I trailed behind, my ears and tail hanging low. I left a trail of blood in my wake.

To say I was sad about the loss was an understatement. I was devastated.

I arrived minutes after they had. I saw the wooden X the had made at the center of camp with Calvin's gun in the middle. His helmet was on top of the muzzle.

I didn't see his body though. I made my way to the temporary monument and curled around it.

Anyone who came near to try to fix the bullet wound was snapped at.

I didn't care about the wound. I just wanted my master, my handler. I wanted Calvin back.