Chapter Fourteen: Fear and Purpose

Start from the beginning

"No."

"Yes."

Sam and Ash said at the same time, respectively.

"I was just leaving." Sam thankfully sheathed her swords and then turned to me.

"I know better than to lecture you about being rational because I know all of that is going to fall on deaf ears. But do me a favor, and the next time you come across those hooded nutjobs, kick them back to hell. For the both of us." She flashed me a smile.

"You got it."

It was good to know that someone knew what to say to me. Something I would actually listen to.

Lucas cleared his throat once she was gone. That seemed to break Ash out of his haze and he blinked a few times.

"I'm sorry about all the trouble I caused earlier. It's clear now why I am not a teleporter." Lucas ran a hand through his hair, clearly embarrassed.

"Yeah the act wasn't very manly." Emma agreed with a chuckle.

My eyes almost bulged out when Lucas intertwined their fingers.

"I don't mind if it means ending up in your arms." He teased. Emma rolled her eyes but she was grinning from ear to ear. I shot her a questioning look, but she was too busy staring into Lucas' amber irises.

Turned out, I was the one who had missed. On a lot.

Emma and Lucas made some lame excuses and left the room. Together. I realized with a jolt that Ash and I were all alone in the room now. My mind forgot about my sister's confusing love life for the moment and focused on the still very angry best friend of mine beside me.

"So, is there anyway I can convince you to help me out of this bed?" I asked hopefully. I could feel the pain in my body mitigate and even the horrific cut on my back felt only like a needle prick now. Whatever painkillers they had given me were very good at doing their job. At least that made on of us.

"Don't even think about it."

"But I already am."

"Then stop." He snapped.

Hurt registered on my features at his outburst and he seemed sorry instantly as his expression softened. He sighed and bent beside me.

"Madison for once forget about what has to be done and think about yourself."

"I am thinking about myself."

"No you're not, because I know I am and right now, our priorities couldn't be more different." He said. His eyes wore no sternness and I could see now how tired he was. Guilt hit me along with realization. One I was better without. It wasn't fair how he had to worry about me getting myself killed along with all his own personal issues. I was a burden he shouldn't have to carry. If not for myself then surely for him I could start to act a little more responsible. It was the least I could do.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have put you through all this."

He gave me a small smile and put his warm hand on my colder one.

"The only person you should be sorry to is yourself. I would've worried about you one way or the other, there's no stopping that and so it isn't your fault."

His eyes told me he meant every word and that made me feel so small for some reason. I had done nothing to deserve a friend like him. In light of my gratefulness, I still couldn't bite back my next words.

"Then is there anyway you can cut some time on my bed rest?"

I flinched back as soon as the words were out, thinking that he might as well just throw me off the bed. He started laughing instead.