Chapter Twenty-Three: The War of Hearts

"Let me die?" I echoed, yanking my wrist away from his hold once we were inside the passageway, shielded from the sight of the Forsaken.

"I came back for you, you ungrateful bastard." I said, unable to believe how ridiculous he was acting, like I had done a mistake in trying to save his life.

"How romantic." He feigned a smile and stepped dangerously close.

"Now this ungrateful bastard would like you to go and never show him your face again." He whispered in my ear, tickling the skin on my throat. His voice held an edge to it, chilling me to the bone. He pulled away and his face was as blank as ever, showing no real emotion.

"Leon this doesn't make any sense. What is going on?" I pleaded. Although his facial expressions didn't change, I noticed how his fists were now clenched.

"Madison, go." He said with menacing calm.

"No! I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what you're doing with those Forsaken. Why are you faking working for them?" I inquired, my nerves getting the best of me. I could no longer keep at bay the storm going on inside me. I knew I would never leave him there all alone to face whatever he was going through all by himself but at the same time he would not let me help him. I hated myself for caring so much.

"I am not working for them. They work for me." He stated matter-of-factly. I staggered back, shaking my head. My voice seemed to have gone somewhere and I could only stare at him open-mouthed.

"You're lying." I breathed shakily, even though the only thing I heard in my voice was the lack of surety.

"I only work for Arthur, you see he's my ancestor. The only family I have and I plan on bringing him back."

His words were like daggers piercing through my heart. I no longer saw the blonde boy I thought I knew, the one I trusted. It was the worst feeling imaginable. Betrayal, hatred, sorrow and confusion all mixed together.

"B-but you saved my life."

"Don't make me regret it." The threat in his voice was clear to my ears but I still stood my ground. I wish I could tell my stubborn brain when not to act stubborn, but there was nothing I could do about it at the time. I felt like I had a point to prove.

"You will never hurt me." I said, the tremble in my voice gone.

"You don't know me."

"You're right, I don't know you." I agreed, my feet moving towards him on their own accord. He didn't attempt to move away either.

"But I do know myself and I know that I would never let anything hurt you. I don't know why I feel this way, but I know I have no choice to feel otherwise." My words hurt my throat and the content may have been very sweet but the way it came out from my mouth only reflected the words of a prisoner.

"Tell me you don't feel the same way and I'll go." I let out, bile building up in my throat but I managed to keep it together. At least until I heard what he said next.

"I don't feel the same way." He said and I heard what I had never clearly heard in his voice before. There was no pressure behind his words and they came out naturally. It was like he didn't even have to think about it. It was like it was the simple truth. I had no reason to think otherwise, not from his side anyway.

I felt emotionally drained as I reluctantly closed my eyes and willed myself to teleport out of there. Nothing happened.

My eyed opened with a start.

"I can't-I must have-" My stuttering broke off, unable to face Leon's accusatory look. I closed my eyes again and thought of the place above. Nothing came to my mind and worst of all, I felt no sign of the power that surged through me earlier. Maybe it wasn't just Leon's betrayal that tired me, it was maybe because I was weak and powerless at the moment. I was really drained.