Magical - Chapter 17

Okay guys, there's only one more chapter after this one before the END of Book I of Magical. Book II...I'm not sure what the title is yet. I might just call is Book II and be unoriginal, who knows...anyway, enjoy! 

The piece to my side is one of my favorite violin concertos :)

_______________________________________________________________________

Chapter 17

            Packing up didn’t take long, seeing as I didn’t have much to pack in the first place. I was going to miss changing my clothes every day though…and having a bath tub. Traveling made me feel grimy, and disgusting. It didn’t matter how many lakes we stopped at to “freshen up”. I suppose that was the one thing I really missed about home: hot showers and washing machines. My clothes had been washed and dried outside when it had finally stopped raining by some of the servants so at least I could leave feeling clean. I packed the essentials and braided my hair back for the journey. It was getting even longer, considering a haircut seemed like a good idea. There was a light knock on my door and Alume said for whoever it was to come in.

“Carina, are you ready to go?” Alexander asked, coming inside. Alume gave a sour look and left before anyone else said anything. “He really doesn’t like me does he?”

“He just doesn’t think us getting involved is a good idea. Don’t take it too personally.” I told him and he smiled. After making sure my sword was secure on its belt and my shield felt safe on my back, I pulled on my bag and walked to the door. Alexander stopped me before leaving though. “What is it?” I asked.

“Do you think it’s a bad idea?”

“I wouldn’t say it’s good or bad yet, Alexander. We’ve barely started anything. All I know is that I don’t know when, or even if, I’ll be back.” I said with difficulty. Alexander nodded and pulled me up against him with surprising strength to give me one more soft kiss.

“I guess we’ll just have to wait until we meet again then, shall we?” I let out a soft sigh.

“That sounds good to me.” I whispered back.

It felt strange; I knew I should have felt more at this parting, but to be honest this new part of me that was craving the adventure and the magic (and Caius) had me only looking forward to leaving on the next part of my journey.

Alexander and I walked down to where our group was waiting. They had come to see us off, which made me smile. Rayne was standing with Kale and her familiar, all three speaking animatedly. Galianya was close to Caius, her face tear-stained. He seemed to be consoling her. Baron, Jack, and Rik were all making their way over to me. “Carina, they told us where you’re headed.” Baron started, clapping me on the shoulder.

“Ow.” I groaned under the weight.

“Are you sure it’s a good idea?” Rik asked me, looking worried.

“What? Are you all like my big brothers now?” They gave me a look and I figured that meant something along the lines of ‘yes’.

“We’re just worried. You won’t have everyone to help you on this one. You’ll be on your own.” Jack added and I shrugged.

“That’s how it’s going to end up anyway. I might as well get used to it.” I pointed out with a frown.

“Well, just watch your back Carina. Things are only going to get worse. I can feel it.” Rik said, looking around as if something were about to leap out and attack us.

“Way to be optimistic Rik. I’m so glad we have you and your reassuring words to keep us going.” I said flatly and both Jack and Baron laughed.