Magical - Chapter 4

Chapter 4

“Dancing with Centaurs”

Alume and I followed Septa back into the castle. We had to almost jog to keep up. “Septa, I have a question.”

“Then ask it, little one.”

“I thought Hirúk was confined, imprisoned…how does he have spies? How can he even know what’s going on?” Septa stopped for a moment, and looked at me with a sigh.

“Do you really believe that the most powerful and uncontrollable magical force in the world, even confined, could not find a way to communicate and find followers on the outside?” He didn’t wait for an answer and continued down the hall. I followed again, feeling rather stupid.

“What kind of followers does he have? Is he building an army or something like that?”

“Yes, something like that. He has many witches, wizards, ogres, and giants. And a lot of mortals as well.”

“Mortals?” I asked, in shock. We had arrived in the dining hall and Septa headed over into a corner and lay down. “I didn’t even know we had mortals here. And why would they follow Hirúk? He wants to enslave mortals.” I sat down in front of Septa and he looked at me with his large dark eyes.

“There are mortals no matter where you go, Carina. This world is just created so that there is a place where magic is accepted, and respected. You just have to understand the difference. These mortals are no strangers to magic. They know how to respect magic and those affiliated with it.”

“Caius told me that magic users would use magic against mortals and that they would take advantage of mortals and a lot of it ended in death.” I interjected. Septa let out a laugh, but it wasn’t because he thought what I said was funny.

“Caius is young, he does not know of the true history of our people. In some cases, yes, that is what happened. But in most, it was the other way around. Powerful mortals, with their armies would strive to control witches and wizards. They wanted to use their power for their own gain. It led to many wars, so much death.” He paused for a moment, looking down. When he looked back at me, his eyes were shining. Could dragons cry? If they could, I was sure Septa was at the verge of tears. “Hirúk is not trying to enslave mortals because of some want for power. It’s in revenge for trying to control us.”

“But then, why would mortals want to join that cause?”

“They feel there is no choice. They believe that if a battle does come to pass, that Hirúk will win. They find it better to survive surrendering to him than to die fighting him.” I suppose I saw the logic. Why fight when you’re sure of defeat?

I jumped as the door opened and turned to see Caius had entered the room. He cocked an eyebrow at me and after seeing what I looked like in a mirror to the side of the room I realized why. There were leaves and flowers in my hair and streaks of dirt on the bottom of my dress. I didn’t look filthy but I looked like I had just fallen in a garden. I quickly brushed myself off and Caius’s lips twitched into a smile while he pulled out a chair for me. The door opened again and two girls walked in. The first was Galianya, in a pale pink gown, her pale hair pulled on her head in a tight bun. She gave me a nod and smirked a little at my appearance before taking the seat that Caius had pulled out. The other girl had long brown hair tied back. She was just as pale as Galianya, but her facial features were like Caius’s only softer.

Caius quickly pulled out another chair and she sat. He gave me a trying look before introducing her. “Carina, I’d like you to meet my sister, Elira.”

“Pleasure to meet you Elira.” She nodded and looked back to Caius.

“Have you told her yet?” Her voice surprised me, it was husky and smooth.