Magical - Chapter 8

I hope this one is long enough for you. :P

______________________________________________________________

Chapter 8

The day before the wedding, I spent the entire day training with Caius. He was a lot tougher this time…a lot. My footwork was the main issue, which was a big problem. It had been a few hours before I finally tripped over my own feet. I face-planted, ending up with a mouthful of grass.

“Ugh…” I let out a painful groan as I used my sword to get back up. Caius gave a half frown and let out a sigh.

“You can’t let your feet get ahead of you.” He scolded, his tone impatient. I scowled.

“This is only my second day!” I hissed. “Why are you being so hard on me?” Caius looked back at me, his eyebrows furrowed.

“You don’t get it do you, Carina? We’re leaving in two days, and you don’t know how to protect yourself without magic. Magic isn’t always reliable, all right? The enemy isn’t going to wait for you to catch your breath, or correct your position. If you don’t start trying harder, you’re going to get yourself killed.” He was red in the face now and I was too shocked to speak. I had never seen Caius this way.

“I-I’m sorry…” I started, fighting the burning tears threatening to fall. “I just…I’m trying, okay? You obviously don’t understand how hard everything has been for me. I’ve tried to be accepting of everything new, I wanted to just pretend that everything’s okay. I don’t need you to remind me that I’m in danger and that I could die. I already know that part. The last thing I need is…this.” My voice finally broke and Caius’s look softened.

“Carina…”

“I think I’m done for today.” I said, dropping the shield and heading back into the castle without another word. The tears were pouring by the time I made it inside. I ran into Elira whose eyes widened at me.

“Carina, what’s wrong?” She asked, trying to pull me into a hug. I pulled back.

“I don’t want to talk about it. I just want to go to my room.”

“Tell me,” she pressed, but I shook my head and pushed past her. When I got to my room I let the tears fall freely. I needed this cry. I hadn’t wanted to think any more about what I would have to face.

Maybe he was only being this difficult because I had been acting as if everything was okay. But, I hadn’t seen a reason to be overly dramatic over everything that had happened. It just seemed like a waste of time. I couldn’t hold it in anymore though. There was a knock on my door and I looked at it apprehensively. Did I really want to talk to anyone right now? To be honest, I didn’t even know where Alume was right now. He had to be close though, because I didn’t feel any kind of pain, besides the fact that I was crying of course. There was another knock and I heard Elira’s voice.

“Carina? Carina, please talk to me. I want to help.” I still didn’t answer. I didn’t want to talk about it, because it wouldn’t really change anything. She left after I refused to answer. I looked out the window and sighed when I saw thunder clouds rolling in.

“Great, rain…it just proves that today sucks.” I grumbled to myself. I heard a scratching sound at the door and went to let Alume inside. He was like a part of me; I couldn’t shut him out.

“I heard you’re in a mood.” Alume started when he looked at my face. “What’s the matter?”

“You heard? From who?”

“Elira was talking to Galianya about it. I heard from Chichi. Elira’s worried about you.” Alume explained, jumping up on the bed as I returned to the window seat.