Magical - Chapter 10-1

Notice is says 10-1 on the chapter. That is because I'm being nice and giving you guys at least the first short part of this chapter before releasing the rest of it. HOWEVER, don't get confused when I post Chapter 10-2, okay? lol. This is really short, so please forgive me ahead of time if you find yourself wanting more, lol.

___________________________________________________________

Chapter 10

The Nightmare

I was driving in my car down the street blasting the radio and singing along of course. The road was winding through a dense forest, but I didn’t mind. The road from my house to town was always like this.

The sky suddenly turned black and I slammed on the breaks as something darted in front of my car. I blinked repeatedly, unsure of what I had seen. I jumped out of my car and looked over into the trees to see Alume, watching me with large yellow eyes.

“Alume, get back here.” I said, but he simply turned and headed in the opposite direction. I snorted in annoyance before following after him. “Damn cat…” was all I could say as I trudged through the brush. I stopped short when I reached a canyon where a river flowed treacherously below. Alume was on the other side, with someone cloaked in white.

“Come, Carina. You’re on the wrong side.” The voice said calmly; a man’s voice. I looked down and back at him, confused.

“How?” I yelled. “How do I get across?”

“The bridge, of course.” Alume snapped, sarcastically. I looked to the right and to my surprise a long wooden bridge extended over the canyon. I went to cross it, but it seemed to stretch on farther and farther as I walked across. I looked down and no longer saw a flowing river, but bubbling lava.

When I brought my gaze back up, I realized I was in a volcano’s cavern, the sweltering heat making it difficult to breathe. I looked back to the bridge, and at its end stood a terrifying dragon. His scales were black, except the long trail of spikes along his back and the tips of his wings which were crimson. His eyes were a blood red to match the scales of his wings and his pupils were slits as they gazed at me in hatred. He bared his teeth at me with a growl and I shrieked in fear, trying to head back the way I had come but my feet were frozen.

“So,” growled the voice, a menacing rumble, “the great descendant of Lekila is going to finish what started so long ago?” I didn’t answer, and he spread his great wings and roared into the air. “Do your worst, witch!” He snarled and leaped at me.

I woke up screaming, fighting my blankets off me. I fell off my bed and landed face first onto the ground of my bedroom with a loud thud. I groaned in pain and heard Alume sigh. “Another nightmare, I presume?”

“You could be a little more concerned.” I grumbled, pushing myself up. I let out a breath and shivered from a sudden chill I felt.

“Well, what was it this time?” He asked as I pulled myself back onto the bed. It was still dark outside, I figured I still had a few hours sleep. After relaying the nightmare back to him, he actually did look more concerned. “How do you even know what Hiruk looks like? Have you seen anything of him before? Something from a memory of Lekila’s, perhaps?”

“I’ve never seen him before this, Alume. It was so terrifying. I just want to forget about it, and go back to sleep.” I mumbled, cuddling back into my pillow.

“Really?” He asked, curling up on the adjacent pillow.

“Well, maybe by some luck, my mind will calm down and I’ll be able to get a little bit of rest before we head out in the morning.” I sighed and closed my eyes. I opened them back very quickly when the image of Hiruk lunging at me popped up. I felt myself shaking, and I knew I wasn’t going to get much more sleep tonight.

_______________________________________________

Okay, first of all, thanks to all my WONDERFUL CLASSMATES who agreed to come on here and read to support me and my story, you guys are awesome! :)

Secondly, because she doesn't get enough credit, thank you to my editor and roommate, Robin :P

Also, thanks to my sister Isis, for encouraging me to keep writing :)

Please vote and comment everyone! <3