Magical - Chapter 9

Chapter 9

             Once inside I found myself steered away from a table to a tall bar by both Kale and Alexander. I met Caius’s eye and he gave me a small smile before turning to Galianya who had tapped his shoulder. “Why do I feel like I never get to go somewhere of my own accord?” I mumbled as Alexander lifted me onto a bar stool.

            “Carina, I’m insulted. You act as if you don’t want to sit with us.” Kale gave a pout and I narrowed my eyes.

            “That’s not what I meant. Why is there a bar here anyway?”

            “They needed something tall enough for us centaurs to eat at. Seeing as we don’t sit, they thought a bar would be easiest.” Kale explained. I nodded, though I felt the tall bar looked a little out of place in the ballroom. I heard the clanging of glasses and I looked up to see Elira and Henry seated at the front table with Caius and Galianya. I had to admit I felt a little put out. I had hoped to be a part of the head table, but I knew that was a ridiculous thought. I wasn’t a part of their family, or royalty. It didn’t matter that I was destined to save the world, I was still just another witch who had only been here about three weeks.

            “Are you all right?” Alexander asked me and my eyes snapped to him. I hadn’t noticed that I was frowning.

            “Oh, yes…I’m fine. I was just day dreaming. I tend to space out a lot.”

            “Space out?” He repeated, a confused look forming on his face. I mentally slapped myself. I had to work on getting rid of my slang.

            “It’s just another way of saying I was lost in my own thoughts.” I explained. “Sometimes I forget that I’m not in my own world.” I admitted. “Though, I don’t know how I could forget, seeing as it’s so different here. All I have to do is look around and I realize I’m not home.”

            “But, this is your home. At least for now.” Kale said, resting a hand on my shoulder. His face came close to mine. “By the way, my invitation still stands Carina.” I blushed and heard a slap. Alexander had smacked Kale’s head. Kale pulled back and looked up to Alexander. “You ruin all my fun.”

            “Leave Carina alone.” Alexander said, stiffly. “The last thing she needs is you and your stupid, inappropriate comments.” I laughed.

            “It’s all right, Alexander. I know he’s just messing with me.” Kale smiled triumphantly.

            “See, she likes it.” Kale said and I shook my head vigorously.

            “No, no! That’s not what I…”

            “Attention every one!” came Caius’s voice over the crowd, and the room instantly silenced. “It is time for the blessing of the food and drinks.”

            I watched in interest as Caius said a blessing over their first drinks and food as a married couple. I smiled at Elira’s expression. I don’t think I had ever seen her look so blatantly happy.

            All during dinner I sent glances in Caius’s direction. Not knowing what he was going to say earlier was bothering me. He didn’t spare me one look the entire meal, and I wasn’t sure if it was on purpose or not. All I knew was that it was aggravating me to no end.

            “All right, no secrets Carina. What’s wrong?” Kale asked. Alexander took my hand in his.

            “You know you can talk to us, Carina.” He soothed and Kale took my other hand, though I knew it was just to irritate Alexander.