Chapter Forty-Three: On the same wavelength

Start from the beginning

I laughed to myself.

"I mean, the arsehole is now your boyfriend... But hey, I'm not judging," she smirked taking a sip of her water.

I looked back at her, "Thanks Abby. That really means a lot to me. This year wouldn't have been the same without you."

She smiled back and at that moment, I couldn't be happier that Abby had come into my life this year. Things would have been so much different than they turned out to be otherwise. And not only that, Abby had been there for me and looked out for me when nobody else had. I couldn't thank her enough for that.

The next day, Hunter met me at the entrance to the school. I smiled when I saw him.

"Hi."

"Hey," he smiled back at me. "I missed you yesterday."

"Me too."

We headed into school and Hunter went to hold my hand.

"What are you doing? I asked him quietly.

"Showing everyone who my girlfriend is."

And with that Hunter held my hand as we walked into school, side by side, with a million stares headed in our direction.

Not going to lie, I felt a little nervous as we walked. I knew how many girls would be hating on me merely because Hunter was now calling me his girlfriend but it wasn't something I was going to deny. I was happy Hunter had finally let me know his true feelings towards me and that he was proud to call me his girlfriend despite whatever people might say.

Sara and Anita death stared me as we walked past them to science. Kelsie on the other hand... Smiled at me? I was a little taken back at first. It wasn't a bitchy smile either, which surprised me a lot. Maybe she was finally over all of her crap. Maybe she was ready to let Hunter and I be. Maybe... She'd finally grown up.

I sat in science with Hunter and Abby on either side of me and for once there didn't feel like there was any tension between any of us. It was awesome. Something I could definitely get used to.

Hunter turned to me once the teacher began writing on the board. "Hey, I just thought I'd let you know I won't be here on Friday. My dad wants me to be at work experience because he has an important client that day."

"No worries," I said. "Two days in one week? Things must be getting pretty serious huh?"

"Yeah, well that's my dad for you," he smiled gently.

"Any of you guys got a spare pen?" asked Abby turning to us.

"No," I said. "Why do you need two?"

"So I can stab myself with one of them and not have to see what mark I got on the test," she replied.

Hunter smiled, amused as I whipped my head around towards the front of the classroom. The teacher had a stack of tests in his hands and was handing them out to students. We were about to get our marks back for our test. Dammit.

The teacher had been working his way from the front of the classroom to the back and was almost at our table. I tapped my fingers on the desk nervously, wondering what mark I'd been given. Or rather to see just how distracted I'd been over the past few months.

The teacher reached us and placed our tests down before moving on.

"Yes!" squealed Abby.

I turned to her, "What did you get?"

"A solid B!" she exclaimed, "Thank you so much for helping me out, otherwise I would have totally failed."

"No worries," I smiled.

"What about you?" she asked.

I hadn't turned over my test yet. Well here goes nothing... I looked down at my test paper. "A".

"Good job!" smiled Abby. "But can I just say - of course you did."

I smiled amused at her remark and inside I couldn't be more happy with that mark. Screw getting the plus sign with it.

"Well done," smiled Hunter.

I looked at him, "Well, what did you get? I guess this is the moment of truth, we finally get to find out who's smarter than who."

Hunter smirked, sliding his test paper over to me. "A".

I smiled to myself.

"Guess we're on the same wavelength Naomi," he winked.

"I guess so," I smiled.

..........................................................................................................................

It feels somewhat sad that this book is coming to an end but I'm excited nevertheless :)

Thank you thank you thank you to all my fans & fans of the book - all your votes & comments are much appreciated.

-sangeetha x