8 - It's okay

"Okay I put your jammies and toothbrush into the other bag along with some clothes for tomorrow okay?" Louis goes over the list with Harry again. "You just need to put your teddy in the bag from last night. Andrew's mum has my number and I have hers and if anything comes up don't hesitate to call us. She's supposed to pick you two up from school today so I guess I'll just see you tomorrow."

"It's okay daddy! I'm six! I'm a big boy; it'll be so much fun!" Harry's very excited for his first ever sleepover. "I think you're more nervous than I am daddy!" Harry says making Louis laugh. "Just want you to have a great time bug." He kisses the top of his sons head. "Alright, go to the car, papa's waiting. Be good at school and remember, you can always call!"

"I will daddy! Bye, I love you!" Harry waves as he rushes out of the house where his papa is waiting in the car. Louis sighs, was it too early to let a six year old have a sleepover? He remembers that he was eight when he had his first. After having his breakfast and reading the morning news, he makes his way up to Niall's room where the boy is just waking up.

"Good morning munchkin! Did you have a good sleep, did you?" He tickles his tummy making Niall squeal with laughter. "Please don't grow up Niall, please stay this little and never leave the house." He chuckles when Niall just stares at him, not having a clue what his daddy was talking about. "I think you're over reacting babe." Louis hears a voice behind him. "He's gonna have a wonderful time, he was so excited he wouldn't stop talking about it in the car." Liam assures his husband. "I know babe, I'm just nervous. What if he doesn't have a good time? What if he falls and scrapes his knee? What if he has an accident? What if he has a nightmare? We won't be there Li."

Liam sighs, "I know you are babe, but I know Andrews mum will call us of anything bad happens. She will put a band-aid on his knee. He hasn't wet the bed in over two years and he can always call us if he gets a bad nightmare. It's fine." Louis knows that his husband was right. But it was the first night that Harry didn't spend the night with them; he hadn't even spent one night at his grandparents' house. He sighs, "You're right Li it will be fine."

"How about we go do something fun, so the day will go by quicker, I know you would appreciate that." Liam suggests and it sounds great to Louis. They go for a walk in the park with Niall, letting him try the swing but Niall did not enjoy that; he would have to get a little bit older. They have dinner early put Niall to bed and cuddle on the couch, a perfect day if you ask them. "You gonna come to bed?" Liam asks his husband when it's close to midnight. "Yeah, I'll be up in a sec." He sends Liam a smile before looking at his phone again. It's been hours since Andrew's mum sent him a text saying the boys were asleep and they had a great time. That was a relief for Louis, he was almost certain that Harry would refuse to go to sleep and one of them would have to go over there and pick him up. A tiny part of Louis wanted that because he's not used to going to sleep without tucking Harry in, kissing him goodnight, making sure his teddy was close by. It was his routine, now he's not doing that and Louis feels like he won't be able to get any sleep.

"Are you gonna sleep in your clothes?" Liam asks when Louis lies down on the bed still dressed in the clothes he wore today. "Hah, I guess." Louis chuckles, not bothered with getting up and changing, he just cuddles into Liam's side. Not half an hour later Louis hears his phone go off and in a matter of seconds he's shoots up to get it.

"Hello this is Louis." He speaks out of breath. "Hello, this is Lisa, Andrew's mother." He hears the voice speak and it makes his heart beat faster. "Hey, is everything okay? How's Harry doing?".
"Well, he was doing just wonderful. We had a lovely day and they went to bed early, well behaved boy," she chuckles, "but he just woke up and is a little upset. I think he had a bad dream or something but he doesn't want talk about it, he just wants you. I'm really sorry if I woke you up, but we've tried everything. Andrew's father is in there now but I don't think its working."

"Oh I'm sorry. May I speak to him?" Louis sighs, putting the phone on speaker so Liam can hear. "Of course." Lisa says and soon Louis hears small sniffles that no doubt belong to his son. "Hi baby, are you okay?" He coos but he only hears Harry sniffle. "Did you have a bad dream bug? You remember what we said, they're not real; no monster can get you." He speaks softly, waiting for Harry to reply. "Your daddy can't hear you nod." Lisa speaks softly. "I know daddy. M'just scared."

"Aw bug, there's no need to be scared. I know you can go back to sleep and tomorrow papa and I will come pick you up okay?"

"I wanna come home daddy." Harry wails. "Don't cry honey, it's alright. I'll drive him home now Louis is that alright?"

"No no, I'll come pick him up, you shouldn't have to go through the trouble, I'll be there in ten. Thanks so much for calling." He hangs up and sighs. "You want me to go? I know you hate driving at night." Liam asks but Louis shakes his head. "No I'll go, it's okay."

Louis arrives at the house and knocks softly on the door. "Hi, we could've driven him home, it was no trouble." Lisa chuckles. "It's alright, I'm really sorry for this." He apologises. "It's alright, it's his first sleepover, and it's tough." She assures. "He's upstairs with Joe and Andrew." She smiles and leads the way. "Harry, look who's here." Joe speaks up making the sobbing boy look up. "Daddy." He wails as Louis picks him up. "Hey, what are those silly old tears for?" He gently wipes them of his face, "They're not necessary are they?" Louis coos. "M'scared daddy; and I wasn't home." He cries into Louis' neck. "It's alright bug, it was your first sleepover. Maybe we'll try again when you're a bit older alright? Thank you so much and I'm sorry again."

"It's okay. We had tons of fun and I'm sure they will manage to try again soon, don't worry." They assure as Louis leaves the house. "Let's go home bug and we can snuggle in daddy's bed." He carries Harry inside and lays him in the bed next to Liam before undressing. "M'sorry daddy, I thought I was a big boy."

"But you are. You're the biggest! I was eight when I called Grandma Jay crying and I didn't even have a bad dream!"

"You did? Eight is very old daddy!" Harry says making Louis laugh. "Sure is bug!"