4 - Don't go

-----

"Daddy wake up!" Harry shouts as he runs into Louis' room. He struggles to climb up onto his bed but manages before he starts jumping. "Daddy wake up, wake up!"

"What?" Louis groans as he rolls over. "Wake up daddy, today is vewy important!" Louis turns away from Harry, hiding his grin. "Oh really? I think I'll just sleep a little bit longer."

"No daddy!" Harry starts tugging Louis' duvet, "Daddy!" he whines in frustration. "Alright, alright I'm up." Louis chuckles and scoops Harry up into his arms. "How about we have some breakfast huh?"

Harry nods eagerly, "We hafta huwwy daddy!"

"Now why would we need to hurry?" Louis laughs, knowing he's annoying the poor boy.

"School today!" Harry huffs, reminding his forgetful father. It was in fact Harry's first day at pre-school and the boy just could not get more excited. His dad had told him so many things! He could play all day with other kids; he would get so many friends today!

"I know buddy, I'm just messing with you." Louis ruffles Harry's hair and places a plate with cut up fruits on it.

"Do they have blocks daddy? And twucks? And colours daddy? Do they?" Harry asks in excitement, showing some fruit into his mouth. "Sure thing bug! They have everything!"

"Should we get dressed and go pack your backpack?" He gently wipes Harry's mouth with a washcloth to get the strawberries off his face. "Yeah now!" Harry runs up to his room to pick out some cool outfit for school. "Find something bug?"

"Yeah!" he says excitedly as he hands Louis a pair of jeans and a red shirt with Elmo's face printed on it. Louis packs Harry's bag with some extra clothes and some little snacks. "Go get your shoes so I can put them on." Harry doesn't need to be told twice before he's sprinting to fetch his shoes.

Louis buckles Harry in his car seat and they head off. Harry doesn't want to admit it, but he does feel a little bit nervous as they get closer to the school. What if the other kids don't like him?

"Ready bug?" Louis gently takes Harry's hand as they walk together into the school. Harry instantly sees kids running around, screaming. Some crying. He did not like it, it's too loud. "I think you're gonna have so much fun huh, see all those toys?" Harry grabs Louis' hand tighter; he's not letting it go anytime soon. He's not going to let his daddy leave without him either; he will not be left alone here.

"Hi there, you must be Harry." A woman greets them nicely. Harry walks behind his father's legs, trying to hide away from the woman. "He's a little shy, first day and all." Louis chuckles, "C'mon Harry, aren't you excited to play with all the kids?"

Harry's eyes well up with tears; he doesn't want to be here. "No go daddy." He sniffles, reaching his hands up so Louis picks him up. "Hey no tears, it's gonna be so much fun!"

"Aw, I'll leave you to it, first time can be rough."

"I wanna leave daddy." Harry cries into Louis' shoulder. "What? You were so excited, remember? There are so many toys here. Look at all the cars!" Harry only shakes his head. "No leave me."

"I will be back before you know it. Daddy needs to do some things and then I'll come pick you up, I promise." But Harry wasn't having it. He was not going to stay here with the screaming kids, some were even hitting others.

"I come too."

"No baby, you need to stay here. Only for a few hours." This sends Harry back into wailing mode. "No baby, please don't cry. It's gonna be okay, you'll have so much fun. You can play with all the toys and then you'll take a nap and then I will be here to pick you up. See, that's not a long time."

Harry looks up at Louis, tears in his eyes and bottom lip trembling. He was a little bit interested in all the toys. "Yeah, isn't that exciting? See the boy over there, should we go say hi?" Harry shakes his head no. "C'mon, I'm sure he's really nice."

Harry whines as Louis carries him over to the boy that was sitting alone on the floor playing with some action figures. "Hi there buddy. What's your name?"
"Liam." The boy answers not taking his eyes off the figures. "Well, would you mind if Harry plays with you?"

"No."

"See, do you wanna play with Liam?" Harry does seem interested in playing with the boy. Louis gently sits him on the ground in front of Liam, "Are you gonna play nicely?"
Harry pouts but ends up nodding. Louis gives Harry a kiss on the head before leaving and Harry starts crying again.

"Your daddy will be back. My mummy always comes back." Liam reassures the crying boy. A few tears later the boy has forgotten all about Louis leaving. The boy makes sure Louis does not miss out on any detail when he picks him up, making a great speech in the back seat about how much fun he had with his new friend.