Candy Kisses (A SHINee Fanfic) Chapter 36

It was loud back stage as everyone ran around. JaeHwa was supposed to tell TaeMin after their performances about her pregnancy.  However, all day TaeMin had barely paid attention to her. Whenever they were alone he would seem distracted and quickly darted away. The foreboding air hanging over her told her something bad was going to happen.

            People talked to her but she didn’t listen. Her eyes followed TaeMin as he bounced from spot to spot. He looked almost as troubled as her.

            Panic struck JaeHwa’s chest as the thought of him already knowing her secret crossed her mind. She barely had time to toss the idea around when JongHyun threw a paper ball at her head.

            “Earth to JaeHwa!” he called, flashing her his cheeky grin. How could he be so calm? Oh right, he wasn’t carrying a scandal in his stomach. God, he’d hate her too when he found out about the problem baby.

            “Ah… Sorry JongHyun oppa,” JaeHwa apologized quietly, eyes still locked on TaeMin.

            “Yah, what’s wrong with you? You look like you just saw a ghost,” JongHyun noted, eyebrows furrowing together.

            “It’s fine oppa… Don’t worry…” She didn’t even look at him as she left to go join TaeMin. He was with Key w ho was babbling about something but the distant look in TaeMin’s eyes told JaeHwa that he wasn’t listening to a word he was saying.

            “TaeMin,” JaeHwa tried to say firmly though she heard her voice shake.

            It took the boy a second to notice that JaeHwa was there. When he did turn his head to stare at his blonde girlfriend that familiar look crept onto his face.

            “Jae, I can’t talk right now…” he half lied.

            “Why not?” the girl asked, hating the desperation in her voice.

            “Because I’m performing soon.”

            Key gave his dongsaeng an odd look. He knew things were rough between the two maknaes but the tense air surrounding them was enough to choke Key himself. TaeMin used to always make time for JaeHwa before performances too…

            “Look, TaeMin, I have to talk to you about something important but I can’t tell you if you treat me like this!” JaeHwa suddenly yelled. She felt her chest constrict as emotions overwhelmed her.

            An impatient sigh escaped TaeMin. He looked like he was about to say something but the five minute call for SHINee was yelled out and TaeMin just pushed past JaeHwa.

            “TaeMin!” the girl called after him but he didn’t even turn his head.

            JaeHwa’s heart broke a little more at this and she slunk off into the comforting arms of Haneul. She asked her what was wrong but JaeHwa just shook her head to tell her everything was fine.

            She hated how TaeMin’s dancing still attracted her so much. He just moved so gracefully and with so much skill. Why are you treating me like this, TaeMinnie? JaeHwa whimpered in her head.

            Her finger tapped impatiently as she waited for TaeMin to come off stage. When the music did finally stop and SHINee came filing off stage she felt somehow relieved. Who knew why? JaeHwa was probably just going to be ignored by TaeMin again and –

            “I need to talk to y9ou,” TaeMin said flatly as he grabbed JaeHwa’s hand and stalked off.

            People cast them off looks as they bolted past them. They left the hustle and bustle of the stage and went into a tiny storage closet. JaeHwa didn’t’ know what to make of this situation. They were close enough to kiss but something about the way TaeMin was staring at her told her that kissing was not going to happen right now.

            “What’s wrong, TaeMinnie?” JaeHwa asked nervously.

            A long silence spread out. TaeMin struggled to find the words that for so long he’d been putting together. He had to go fast, though, since he knew JaeHwa was performing soon. He took a deep breath, bringing his eyes up to meet those blue eyes he’d once loved so much.

           “Jae… I know we… Used to be really close… And we’ve had really, really good times together…” he began.

            JaeHwa’s heart pounded crazily against her rib cage. She could literally feel her breaths get shallower as she anticipated the rest of his speech. He couldn’t be doing this to her now! Not when she had his baby growing in her!

            “I still love you and I care for you, but not in the same way and I can’t keep being with you with my feelings like this because it would be wrong to you…”

            This was exactly what she didn’t’ want. This was what would cause an even bigger scandal for everyone.

            “Please don’t TaeMinnie,” JaeHwa whispered, clutching her body in a one person hug.

            TaeMin gave her a guilty look, cupping her face so he could get her to look at him.

            “I’m sorry Jae, it’s not working out,” he whispered.

            JaeHwa could only nod. “It’s okay…” she said. She heard music playing out back by the stage and decided to escape. “I have to go…”

            The other boy nodded, understanding of her situation. She opened the door, getting blasted by the music as soon as she did. She remembered her promise to Haneul and everyone else. Her head turned to look at TaeMin over her shoulder and she mustered up enough of her vocal chords to say, “I’m pregnant,” before leaving a gob smacked TaeMin behind her.