Chapter Six: Team

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean? How is he going to get back without a ride." She asked, getting in beside Samantha.

"Believe me if you knew him as long as I have, you'd know that he can find his own way back." Sam responded casually, barely concerned.

"Lets hope you're right." Madison sighed. It had been a long and tiring night. The worst part was that it wasn't over yet. She still had to confront Cassidy once she woke up. She had tried to push it as far back as she could but now it was time to clear things up. They couldn't work together if they didn't trust each other. They had know that they were on the same side.

******

Miles' POV

My breathing was uneven as I strolled the green patch somewhere near the warehouse we were sent to operate on. My palms stung and I was sure they were be crimson by now. I finally unballed my fists and ran my hand through my unruly hair in an attempt to release some of the nonsense in my head. I was suppose to be angry at her, scratch that I should have been wanting to rip her apart at what she did. But why? Did I really care so much for Cassidy? But then why was I not even close to being mad at Madison?

I flopped on the soft grass in frustration. My life was a mess. My brain was a bigger one.

My hands found their way to my pocket where I had kept Emma's necklace. There was a sole pendant on the silver string. The gem on it was no doubt a diamond. If this had gone missing a few weeks ago Emma would probably have this whole town swiped until she found it. She always had her on herself, I was momentarily surprised Cassidy had managed to get this particular necklace. I didn't know Emma all too well but it was obvious that she cared about Brandon and considering he was the one who had given her this pendant on her seventeenth birthday, it was weird that she hadn't noticed its absence yet.

I pushed it back inside my pocket and turned to the twinkling sky above me. I lay there, in peace, for seemed like hours until my phone buzzed. It was Cassidy but I declined her call, not wanting my solidarity to come to an end. It vibrated again and this time it was a text from her.

Where are you?

I clicked the screen off and sighed. My eyes closed, reading the thought in mind. I needed a break.

******

"Miles, Miles!"

The shaking finally woke me up. My eyes adjusted to the brightness and the fact that it was morning registered into my brain.

"You spent the whole night here?"

I turned to face her.

"What does it look like?" My tone was flatter than I wanted it to be but I couldn't explain the sudden pang of disappointment I felt inside.

Who was I expecting?

The question popped up even when I knew the answer.

"Do you always have to be so tough?" She asked, frustration sown into her features. I wanted to answer that question, I wanted to tell her why I kept my walls up but I couldn't. I couldn't tell Cassidy the reason because I didn't know it myself.

It had just been an unconscious defensive mechanism when I was younger. It stopped me from getting too attached to anyone because I didn't know if I could endure the pain of loosing them. Trying to shut off my feelings was my best option because I knew that at the end, everyone had to go. He did.

"You shouldn't be here." I replied, trying to keep my tone down. If I couldn't be nice then there was no reason to be rude either. Yet.

"That is all you have to say to me?" She sounded hurt but kept her composure all the same. It was evident that Fiona had completed healed her as she could now stand up straight with bending towards the part of her waist that had been wounded.

"I don't know what you want from me Cassidy." This time everything about me was soft, inviting. I hated doing this but it was the only way she could ever get around to hating me and maybe even I could find a way to not care about her.

She stepped closer until I could feel her breath on my neck and the pang of guilt hit me again. I was using her but knowing that it was for her own good made me feel a little better. Only a little because she was one of the few people I would rather die for than hurt.

"I want you to let yourself have what you really want." She whispered before tilting her head upwards. I stepped back instantly and she looked at me with pained, confused eyes. My mouth broke into an arrogant smirk.

"Cassidy you were fun last month but I have other girls in waiting. And I am sorry if I gave you the wrong idea but it didn't mean anything." My expression was cool and carefree on the outside but inside I wanted to dig a grave and crawl inside. An emotionless jerk like me was better dead.

Cassidy's jaw tightened and there were tears in her eyes but she still looked better than I expected so that was a win. It was better than nothing. Her fists clenched and made contacted with my face. She was weak but I still felt the impact and kept my face to the side, refusing to meet her glare.

"You can find your own way back home." She said through gritted teeth and then stomped away so quickly, it was like she couldn't handle being in the same radar as me. She probably hated me now. Good.

I took a shaky breath and then collapsed to the ground. It was a miracle how no one had figured out what was really behind this strong and arrogant mask of mine. Underneath, I was a coward, too scared to want something, to weak to protect the people I care about and too insecure to let anyone in. I was a looser and I had chosen this path, this future for myself and now I couldn't change even if I wanted to because these walls were now my nature.

I still remember the first time I saw Cassidy. She had taken my breath away and only because she was beautiful but because it was like she could see into my soul. I had given in to my overpowering feelings for her but that was only because she had caught me off guard. In time, I had found a way to tame even the urge to touch her. Thank goodness for that or god knows what I would've done when it came to Madison.

It was different for her. While Cassidy could see into my soul, for Madison it was like she was my soul. There was always some part of me that was missing, until her. When it came to her, there were no walls. The only thing between us was our will fight.

In spite of the sun, all of a sudden I felt awfully cold. My hands found my pockets and for a few moments everything was exactly how I wanted it to be. Then the illusion broke.

My fingers frantically circled my empty pocket for Emma's necklace, but I knew that no matter how hard I looked I wouldn't find it. The worst part of all this was that I was a delusional airhead. My walls were too thick for my own good. I couldn't see what was going on under my own nose. I should've known Cassidy was smarter than that. She had an agenda all along.

She had taken Emma's necklace.

As if on cue, my phone started to vibrate.

Samantha: Get to the Sanctuary. Now. Something is wrong with Madison.