Chapter Fifteen

Whoo!

Falling to Rise

Chapter 15

"Doing nothing for others is the undoing of ourselves."

~~~~~

"How soon can we make it?" Seto asked, it was morning of the next day, the day of the trial.

"Eh... by noon, since we're leaving right now at sunrise." Adam said, the two of them stood out in the warm desert morning with Valen as he readied the carriage.

Ian, Jerome, and Mitch were staying behind, because once again the carriage only had enough room for two, and both Seto and Ian agreed that it would be best if Mitch and Jerome were never in the same place in public. The two of them just didn't get along so it could make their situation worse.

"That's good," Seto clambered into the carriage.

"Seto! Wait!" His uncle came running out carrying a small box.

"Uncle?" Seto poked his head out of the carriage, "Is something wrong."

"No, no, I just came to give you this, your mother had it stored away for you for 16 years now. I know you'll be coming back after your mission, but I felt like I should give this to you know, your mother would want you to have it," his uncle placed the small box in Seto's hands before bidding him goodbye.

Seto looked at the small wooden box curiously, but sat back down in the carriage as Adam sat down to. Seto noticed Jerome in the window of one of the second floor rooms, he gave a little wave but Jerome didn't return it.

"Take us to Emedo, waste no time, we'd like to get there as soon as possible."

Valen nodded before he clicked his tongue and the carriage was pulled by the horses. The sun was just barely rising, but that made the ride all the more peaceful.

"So...are you going to open the box?"

Seto looked down at the box, should he? "I...I don't know..."

"Go ahead! Open it! You must be interested to know what's inside!" He was right, he was curious. Something his mother had stored away for over 16 years. 16 years ago was when his Uncle relinquished his hold over Keuta and became just another aristocrat.

The small brown box was smooth on the outside, the top was engraved with a little creeper face. His family's symbol, he could imagine that whatever was inside was important. The box was held together with small silver hinges and a silver clasp. He hesitantly unclasped the clasp and opened the box.

Seto stared at the object in the box. His fingers touched smooth gold, and the rough edges of a gem, a purple gem.

"An amulet..." he breathed. An exact replica of Adam's, but no doubt authentic. Was it his? He pulled out the necklace and held it up to his face, he admired the beauty as it reflected in the sun.

"Look at that, it must've been yours when you were still a prince."

"Yea..." he smiled, "I thought my family gave them all to your father."

"Guess your mom couldn't give your's up. Are you going to put it on?"

"Huh?" Seto looked at Adam in shock, "O-oh no! I can't do that I'm not even a prince anymore." Seto turned around and moved his cape out of the way. He didn't have pockets so he would just tie the amulet to the bindings of his pants. It would be hidden by the cape and somewhere safe so it would not arouse suspicion. After the trial, he could ask his mother more about it and why she kept it.