Chapter Fifteen: Maybe Things Can Be Normal

I came running out of the break room in a flash. I had thrown my clothes back on in a hurry and rushed out. I scanned the lobby for Jem and found him in the same chair I had left him. He stood up when he saw me and I flung myself into his arms.

He hugged me tight, wrapping his arms around my waist, “So?” he prompted in a slow voice. I hesitated for a moment before pulling away to look at him.

“I made it!” I nearly screamed as a smile spread across my face. Jem let out a breath and laughed in relief, “I thought you’d been cut the way you were acting!” I laughed, “No, I made it! I made it!”

Jem smiled and hugged me again kissing my forehead lightly, “That’s great babe!”

I looked at him, “Babe?” I asked with an amused expression.

“Don’t like it?”

“No, just different than I’m used to.” Jem smiled and kissed my forehead again.

“Victoria?” Miss Annie called. I turned and looked for her. The lobby was almost completely empty, “Yes?” I asked making my way over to her.

“I wanted to discuss the scholarship.” She said with a soft smile. My heart dropped, I had forgotten all about the scholarship. What if I didn’t get it?

“What about it?” I asked, hoping my voice wouldn’t show my worry. Jem came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. He rested his head on my shoulder.

“I wanted to tell you I can’t give you a half scholarship.” Miss Annie said slowly.

I felt my heart turn to led, “You can’t?” I asked in a barely audible whisper. Miss Annie shook her head, “I can’t because I have to give you a full scholarship.”

It took a moment for her words to sink in, “A….full…..scholarship?” I asked just to be sure.

Miss Annie nodded her head, “All costumes, tuition and traveling fees paid. You’re very lucky, I only give out one full scholarship.”

I felt my smile widen and I tried really hard not to scream in excitement, “Oh, thank you so much! I promise you won’t regret giving it to me!”

Miss Annie laughed, “I highly doubt I will. I’ll see you at practice on Monday, right after school.” I nodded my head and turned to Jem as she left, “Did you hear!?”

Jem chuckled and nodded his head, “I heard! Now let’s go home so you can tell mom, it’ll lift her spirits!”    

I nodded my head and intertwined our fingers, “Let’s go!”

When we got back to the house I ran inside. Dropping my bag by the front door I rushed through the house and into Carmen’s room. She was lying in bed watching TV, Kelly was laying next to her reading a book.

Carmen looked up when I came running in and raised her eyebrows, “How’d it go?” she asked muting the TV.

I smiled wide, “I made the team! With full scholarship!” I said happily. Carmen smiled wide and cheered, “Look at you go! You’re going to be the best!”

I smiled at her, “You think so?” I asked sitting on the edge of her bed.

“I know so.” She said taking my hand, “Why else would you be given the best opportunity you could ever have?”

I smiled, “Thank you for letting me do this.”

“Anything for you baby girl. You and your sister might as well be my own.” She smiled and kissed my hand, not able to sit up and kiss my cheek.