Chapter Eight: The Rumors of High School

The next morning I awoke alone in Jem’s room. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. My head hurt, a lot. I pulled the blanket around me and looked at the walls. They were covered with the same posters they had been years ago. Star Wars, and Harry Potter, and Comic book covers. On the back of the door was the same woman clad in a bikini. I smiled softly, it was nice to know that the old Jem was still here, somewhat. On the far wall was his dresser, with a TV on top of it. There was also a desk with a computer, and a book shelf full of books. Jem still read.

The door opened and Jem came in with a towel around his waist. I hadn’t seen him shirtless since the summer he left. Then he had been a twig. Now he was well toned, his muscles standing out, still dripping from his shower.

“Morning sunshine.” He said happily and smiled. I quickly adverted my eyes. He chuckled softly. “Mom’s only gonna be downstairs for a few more minutes, you might want to head back to your room.”

I nodded my head and stood up. I picked up my shirt and jeans from the night before and slipped out of Jem’s room and down the hall into mine. I had a feeling Carmen would come in to check on me so I quickly put on my own pajamas and crawled into bed. I couldn’t believe that I had fallen apart, drunk, in Jem’s arms last night. I cried myself to sleep while he sang to me. What was wrong with me?

Sure enough the door cracked open and Carmen stuck her head in, “Are you up sweetie?” she asked in a soft voice. I sat up and nodded my head. Carmen came in the room and shut the door behind her.

“We do need to talk about last night.” She said softly. I looked down at my lap in shame. I knew going to the party was wrong.

“Pete and I agreed on a month of grounding. No parties, no friends, and no phones. So I’ll need your cell phone.” She said softly. I could tell she was tiptoeing around my feelings. I felt bad for falling apart last night, and was glad that Lilly didn’t see me. I got up out of bed and went to dig for my pants from the night before. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and handed it to Carmen.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered to her, “I knew it was wrong.” Carmen smiled softly, “We all make mistakes dear.” She said and left the room.

***

Being grounded sucked. Jem and I agreed on that when we had to stay home from the next rally. Jem was only allowed to leave for the game. I couldn’t go at all. I sat home the whole night doing homework. Jem was driven home by Peter as soon as the game was over. He joined me at the kitchen table with his homework. For the next three weeks that was how our weekends were, homework at the kitchen table.

We slowly got to know each other again. Jem’s favorite color was still green. He still didn’t eat green beans, and he could live off pizza. We spent Saturdays in his room watching reruns of Law & Order SUV, his favorite show, and now mine. On Sundays we would talk about old comics we used to read. New books we thought the other should read. If it was nice outside we’d sit in the grass and Jem would take pictures. He was a great photographer.

On the last week of our grounding things got weird. It was the week of a big game against the school’s arch rival, and Carmen told me I could go if Jem and I watched the house and kids Halloween weekend. The whole school was excited about the game. It was also spirit week.

Monday was jersey day. I wore one of Jem’s old soccer jerseys. The girls talked behind their hands as I walked through the hall. Macy said they were plotting ways to get Jem away from me in the girls’ bathroom. Lisa and I had laughed at that. Tuesday was pajama day. I wore my favorite plaid pajamas. The girls pointed when Jem walked with his arm around my shoulder. Lisa told me they were mad because he never got that close with a girl before. Wednesday was warrior day. I sat this one out. Thursday was animal day. I wore my zebra scarf. The girls in the bathroom called me a hoe because my dress was short. It really wasn’t though.